ME Graduate Student Orientation Guide
Welcome to the Department of Mechanical Engineering’s New Graduate Student Orientation Guide! Here, you’ll find a number of resources to help get you started with your new academic life at ME@Boston University.
NEW STUDENT CHECKLIST:
- Upon arrival, all international students *must* check in at the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO), located on the 2nd floor at 888 Commonwealth Avenue.
- Make sure you have a BU email account (if you don’t yet, email firstname.lastname@example.org).
- After completing your course registration, confirm that you have been registered by checking the Student Link.
- Settle your account using the Student Link or by visiting Student Accounting Services.
- Obtain your BU ID Card from the Terrier Card Office, located at the George Sherman Student Union.
- Make sure you are in compliance with BU’s regulations via the Student Link under the “Compliance” tab (e.g., regarding your submission of an emergency contact phone number, making sure your immunizations are up-to-date, etc.).
MORE VALUABLE RESOURCES
- MEng Program Information (MEng in Mech <link> and MEng in MFG) <link>
- MS Program Information (MS in Mech,<link> MS in MFG, <link> and MS/MBA) <link>
- PhD Program Information (PhD in Mech) <link>
- Housing in Boston for Graduate Students <link?>
- Graduate Student Financial Responsibilities <link?>
- Whom Should I Contact?
- International Student Orientation
- Obtaining a Social Security Card for Student Employment
- Guide to Massachusetts
- Discover Boston
- 101 Things to Do in Boston
How to Register:
- You should review the program planning sheet specific to your graduate program so that you are aware of the curriculum requirements.
- Next, you should select your classes either from the list of fall courses available here or from the University Class Schedule.
- You will then need to contact your assigned academic advisor to discuss your course selection, and have him or her approve your course selection via email. The Academic Program Manager, Patty Robinson-Angel, will contact you via email with your advisor assignment. If you have any questions or concerns about your advisor assignment, please email Patty at email@example.com
IMPORTANT UNIVERSITY CALENDAR INFORMATION
Semester Dates for Standard Courses– Spring 2016
|Registration Planner Available||September 25, 2015|
|Registration begins for select groups||November 1, 2015|
|Classes Begin||January 19, 2016|
|Official Registration Deadline for continuing, new, and transfer students (non-MET only)||January 25, 2016|
|Last day to ADD standard courses||January 2, 2016|
|Official registration deadline for standard courses and MET students||January 2, 2016|
|Last day for undergraduate students to change standard courses from credit to audit status||January 2, 2016|
|Presidents’ Day Holiday, Classes Suspended||February 15, 2016|
|Substitute Monday Schedule Classes||February 16, 2016|
|Last day to DROP standard courses (without a “W” grade)||February 23, 2016|
|Last day for graduate students to change standard courses from credit to audit status||February 23, 2016|
|Spring Recess, Classes Suspended||March 5-13, 2016|
|Classes Resume||March 14, 2016|
|Last day to DROP standard courses (with a “W” grade)||April 1, 2016|
|Last day to officially take a leave of absence or withdraw from the University||April 13, 2016|
|Patriots’ Day Holiday, Classes Suspended||April 18, 2016|
|Substitute Monday Schedule of Classes||April 29, 2016|
|Last Day of Classes||April 29, 2016|
|Study Period||April 20 – May 2, 2016|
|Final exams begin||May 3, 2016|
|Final exams end||May 7, 2016|
|Commencement Weekend||May 13 – 15, 2016|
WITHDRAWAL AND TUITION REFUND SCHEDULE – Spring 2016
The last day to officially take a leave of absence or withdraw from the University is Wednesday, April 15, 2015
These schedules exclude Online Programs and non-standard courses. Student taking Online courses should check with the Boston University Distance Education website for the withdrawal schedule. For non-standard course withdrawal and tuition refund information contact the Office of the University Registrar at 617-353-3612 or by email.
Standard Courses on the Charles River Campus (except EOP, LAW and MET students)
|On or Before January 18, 2016||100% tuition and fees|
|January 19 – February 1||80% tuition only|
|February 2 – 8||60% tuition only|
|February 9 – 16||40% tuition only|
|February 17 – 23||20% tuition only|
|As of February 24||0%|