How to Obtain a Social Security Card for Student Employment

All international F-1 students must have employment to be eligible for a Social Security Number. Before going to the Social Security office you must:

  1. Wait a minimum of ten days after reaching the United States to apply for a Social Security card.
  2. Register for classes (full-time or certified full-time).
  3. Get the Certificate of F-1 Student On-Campus Employment for Social Security Number Application from ECE and have it further certified by the ISSO. This form is required to apply for a Social Security Number.

Apply at the Social Security Administration’s Boston office located at:

Boston Social Security Office
10 Causeway Street, Room 148
Boston, MA 02222
Phone Number: 617-565-8797