ENG Undergraduate Registration

Fall 2018

WebReg Dates & Times

(Class Year as of Fall 2018)

  • Seniors – Sunday, April 15, 2018 (9 a.m.)
  • Juniors – Sunday, April 15, 2018 (12 p.m.)
  • Sophomores – Sunday, April 22, 2018 (9 a.m.)

The University Class Schedule for Fall 2018 can be found on the “Academics” tab on the Student Link.

Pre-Registration Advising

Thursday, March 29, 2018 – Friday, April 13, 2018

Pre-Registration Advising begins on Thursday, March 29, 2018. It is your responsibility to make an appointment with your faculty advisor in order to select your courses for the Fall 2018 semester.

  • Rising Seniors and Juniors should make their appointments with their faculty advisors for the week of MArch 29 through April 6, 2018.
  • Rising Sophomores should make their appointments with their faculty advisors for the week of April 9 through April 13, 2018.

If you do not know your advisor’s name, you can look it up on the Student Link (click on “Academics” and then on “Academic Summary”). You will not be given your Academic Advising Code (AAC) until you have met with your faculty advisor. Your faculty advisor should be in touch with you about how to schedule appointments.

Bring the Program Planning Sheet for your major to your registration appointment, indicating the courses you have taken and the grades you have earned. Complete your Registration Form and have your faculty advisor sign your form for approval. Undergraduate requirements may be accessed here.

Compliance Requirements

Make sure you have complied with the following University requirements. Failure to do so will result in being blocked from registration for Spring 2018.

Academic Advising Code (AAC)

You will need to submit your completed and signed registration form to the Undergraduate Programs Office, ERB 107. (Note: The Undergraduate Office cannot accept registration forms that have not been completed.) At that time, you will be asked to complete an Advisor Assessment form (online, in the office). Upon completion, you will be given an Academic Advising Code (AAC). This code, together with your Kerberos password and your BU ID#, will allow you to access WebReg on the Student Link.

Academic Conduct Code

All entering College of Engineering students must read and affirm that they have read the Academic Conduct Code. (This is only required once.) Boston University’s Academic Conduct Code is designed to assist the development of a supportive and productive learning environment. It is both a description of the University’s ethical expectations of students as well as a guarantee of student’s rights and responsibilities as members of a learning community. the Code provides clarity related to policy and procedure regarding academic conduct. You may view the code here.

All students taking 12–18 credits are charged the basic full-time tuition rate for the BU College of Engineering. Each credit over the 18 basic credits carries a charge of the standard per-credit rate. In order to waive the overload charge for a maximum of 2 credits (totaling 20 credits), students must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher and complete the form below. If a student requests the overload, but does not have a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher, the tuition waiver will not be processed. First-semester freshmen are not permitted to overload. Seniors are automatically permitted to register for a maximum of 20 credits without incurring additional tuition charges without taking any additional action.

Please be mindful that tuition waivers should only be submitted once & that they will not be processed until the conclusion of each current semester; to be applied towards the immediate subsequent semester. The cumulative grade point average requirement (3.00 minimum) must be met at the conclusion of the current semester in order to determine the requirement for the overload. If a waiver is submitted for the Fall term at the conclusion of the Spring term and the student plans on enrolling in Summer term courses, the waiver is conditional. The grade point average requirement must be maintained for Summer coursework; otherwise the waiver will be revoked.

Once your tuition waiver has been processed and approved, you will need to contact Student Accounting Services to verify your tuition waiver approval and ensure all reimbursements are attained. If your tuition and/or fees do not correspond to the courses you have selected, contact the Office of the University Registrar.

Request A Waiver of Tuition

College of Engineering students may take one course per semester at one of the following schools while registered for courses at Boston University: Boston College, Brandeis University, Tufts University, Hebrew College, and Boston Architectural Center. Courses taken at these institutions must be approved through the Undergraduate Programs Office prior to registration. For information on cross-registration, students should contact the Office of the University Registrar.

To be considered full-time, a student must be registered for at least 12 credits in the fall and spring semesters. A student is expected to proceed at the rate of 16- 18 credits per semester in order to complete a degree within four years as indicated on the respective program planning sheets. Full-time tuition covers up to 18 credits per semester.

Any student enrolled in fewer than 12 credits in the fall or spring semester is considered a part-time student. Part-time status requires advance approval from the Associate Dean via a Petition for Part-Time Status. A student who is enrolled for fewer than 12 credits in a semester who has not received prior approval for part-time status will be placed on academic probation at the next academic review. Part-time status and/or completing less than 12 credits in a semester may jeopardize eligibility for financial aid and on-campus housing. International students are required to maintain full-time status and must check with the International Students and Scholars Office before attempting to drop to part-time status.

A student may choose to voluntarily leave the University for a specified period of time (up to four semesters), with the expectation of returning to complete a degree program. In this case, the student must request a leave of absence. Alternatively, a student may choose to withdraw from the University. Students considering a leave of absence or withdrawal are strongly encouraged to meet with their faculty advisor and an academic counselor in the Undergraduate Programs Office, ERB 107.

A student who decides to take a leave of absence or withdraw from the University must contact the University Service Center, 881 Commonwealth Avenue. Exit interviews will be conducted. If a refund or credit on paid tuition fees is due, the amount refunded or credited is calculated with reference to the date of the student’s first official notification of intent to withdraw. The refund schedule is available here.

For students living on campus, submitting a leave of absence form does not automatically release them from a housing contract. Students must contact the Office of Housing at 985 Commonwealth Avenue to make necessary arrangements.

Upon return from a leave of absence, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the Office of Housing directly to be considered for on-campus housing. The College of Engineering does not notify the Office of Housing to send the student information or an application for housing. In addition, a student requesting financial aid should notify the Office of Financial Assistance as soon as possible regarding eligibility and availability of funds.

When a student returns to the College, it is important for the student, the faculty advisor and an academic counselor to review the student’s program of study and any changes in the degree program. A returning student follows the program planning sheet for the new expected year of graduation.

Students who matriculate at another institution and wish to return must apply for regular transfer admission through the Office of Admissions.

Undergraduate students who voluntarily absent themselves from the College for one or more semesters without requesting a leave of absence may be withdrawn by the College.

Undergraduate requirements can be found here.