Boston University » College of Engineering » Current Undergraduate Students » Registration
student in front of computer

Registration for Fall 2016

WebReg start dates for Fall 2016 (Class year as of Fall 2016):

  • Seniors - Sunday, April 10, 2016 (a.m.)
  • Juniors - Sunday, April 10, 2016 (p.m.)
  • Sophomores - Sunday, April 17, 2016

Click here for Specific start dates and times for WEBREG according to the last digit of your BU ID #.

The University Class Schedule for Fall 2016 can be found on the "Academics" link on the student link.

Pre-Registration Advising:
Monday, March 28, 2016 through Friday, April 8, 2016

Pre-Registration Advising begins on Monday, March 28, 2016. It is your responsibility to make an appointment with your faculty advisor in order to select your courses for the Fall 2016 semester.

Seniors and Juniors should make their appointments with the faculty advisors for the week of March 28 - April 1, 2016.

Sophomores should make their appointments with their faculty advisors for the week of April 4 - 8, 2016.

If you do not know your advisor's name, you can look it up on the student link (click on "Academics" and then on "Academic Summary"). You will not be given your AAC until you have met with your faculty advisor. Your faculty advisor should be in touch with you about how to schedule appointments.

Program Planning Sheet

Bring the Program Planning Sheet for your major, indicating the courses you have taken and the grades you have earned to your faculty advisor. Complete your registration form and have your faculty advisor sign (approve) your form.

Undergraduate Requirements

Registration Form

  • Download from Registrar's: Registration Form (bring original and a copy to ERB 107 for your AAC)
  • Pick-up from following locations:
    • Undergraduate Office - ERB 107
    • Your Department Office (BME, ECE and ME)
  • Compliance Requirements

    Make sure you have complied with the following University requirements. Failure to do so will result in being blocked from registration for Spring 2016.

    Faculty Advisor and Degree Program Assessment

    All Undergraduates must go to the forms page and download the Faculty Advisor and Degree Program Assessment Form.

    Students should complete this evaluation AFTER meeting with their faculty advisor and BEFORE coming to the Undergraduate Office to obtain their AAC.

    Academic Advising Code (AAC)

    You will need to submit your completed and signed registration form and your completed Advisor Assessment Form form to the Undergraduate Office, ERB 107. (Note: The Undergraduate Office cannot accept registration forms that have not been completed.) At that time, you will be asked to complete an Advisor Assessment form (online, in the office). You will be given an Academic Advising Code (AAC). This code, together with your Kerberos password and your student identification number, will allow you to access WEBREG on the Student Link.

    Academic Conduct Code

    All entering College of Engineering students must read and affirm that they have read the Academic Conduct Code. (This is only required once). Boston University's Academic Conduct Code is designed to assist the development of a supportive and productive learning environment. It is both a description of the University's ethical expectations of students as well as a guarantee of student's rights and responsibilities as members of a learning community. the Code provides clarity related to policy and procedure regarding academic conduct. Go here to read the code.

    Additional Information

    Course Overload

    Prior approval by the Undergraduate Programs Office is required for any student who is not a senior to register for more than 18 credits. Continuing students with a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher are eligible for a waiver of tuition charges beyond 18 credits, but for no more than an additional 2 credits. First semester freshmen are not permitted to overload. Seniors (students with a minimum of 96 credits toward their degree) in good academic standing are automatically allowed to register for a total of 20 credits per semester in the senior year without incurring additional tuition charges. Seniors do not need to take any action.

    In order to request a waiver of tuition, students need to contact their Records coordinator by email (no form is required). Students with a last name starting with A - L, contact Jackie Cronin at; students with a last name starting with M-Z contact Dawn Cardoso at If a student requests the overload, but does not have a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher, the tuition waiver will not be processed. Please note tuition waivers will be processed at the conclusion of the current semester, to be applied to the immediate subsequent semester. The cumulative grade point average requirement (3.00) must be met at the conclusion of the current semester.


    College of Engineering students may take one course per semester at one of the following schools while registered for courses at Boston University: Boston College, Brandeis University, Tufts University, Hebrew College, and Boston Architectural Center. Courses taken at these institutions must be approved through the Undergraduate Programs Office prior to registration. For information on cross-registration, students should contact the Office of the University Registrar.

    Full-time Status

    To be considered full-time, a student must be registered for at least 12 credits in the fall and spring semesters. A student is expected to proceed at the rate of 16- 18 credits per semester in order to complete a degree within four years as indicated on the respective program planning sheets. Full-time tuition covers up to 18 credits per semester.

    Part-time Status

    Any student enrolled in fewer than 12 credits in the fall or spring semester is considered a part-time student. Part-time status requires advance approval from the Associate Dean via a Petition for Part-Time Status. A student who is enrolled for fewer than 12 credits in a semester who has not received prior approval for part-time status will be placed on academic probation at the next academic review. Part-time status and/or completing less than 12 credits in a semester may jeopardize eligibility for financial aid and on-campus housing. International students are required to maintain full-time status and must check with the International Students and Scholars Office before attempting to drop to part-time status.

    Leave of Absence/Withdrawal

    A student may choose to voluntarily leave the University for a specified period of time (up to four semesters), with the expectation of returning to complete a degree program. In this case, the student must request a leave of absence. Alternatively, a student may choose to withdraw from the University. Students considering a leave of absence or withdrawal are strongly encouraged to meet with their faculty advisor and an academic counselor in the Undergraduate Programs Office, ERB 107.

    A student who decides to take a leave of absence or withdraw from the University must contact the University Service Center, 881 Commonwealth Avenue. Exit interviews will be conducted. If a refund or credit on paid tuition fees is due, the amount refunded or credited is calculated with reference to the date of the student's first official notification of intent to withdraw. The refund schedule is available here.

    For students living on campus, submitting a leave of absence form does not automatically release them from a housing contract. Students must contact the Office of Housing at 985 Commonwealth Avenue to make necessary arrangements.

    Upon return from a leave of absence, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the Office of Housing directly to be considered for on-campus housing. The College of Engineering does not notify the Office of Housing to send the student information or an application for housing. In addition, a student requesting financial aid should notify the Office of Financial Assistance as soon as possible regarding eligibility and availability of funds.

    When a student returns to the College, it is important for the student, the faculty advisor and an academic counselor to review the student’s program of study and any changes in the degree program. A returning student follows the program planning sheet for the new expected year of graduation.

    Students who matriculate at another institution and wish to return must apply for regular transfer admission through the Office of Admissions.

    Undergraduate students who voluntarily absent themselves from the College for one or more semesters without requesting a leave of absence may be withdrawn by the College.

    Undergraduate Requirements

    Undergraduate requirements can be found here.