Box Boat

Box Boat

I wanted to make a boat for a while and when Matt found out about the Imagineering Lab, we decided we'd use it to build one. It took us a couple of days to sketch, then we submitted the supplies request form, not really expecting to get the money. To our surprise it was okayed within a week. We scavenged around Brookline/Allston for wood/things we could use. We found what became the mast behind a cafe, along with some pallets. After the order was placed, we went to Home Depot to get the plywood, some "scratch and dent" 2x2s, mistake paint, screws, and caulk (BU picked up the tab for the plywood). We used Matt's car to haul it back. Work began that day and the boat took shape: a box, to be exact. We mostly worked together, though there were some solo work days. The nose was difficult, but we managed to get it on with the help of some scrap metal. We used the nibbler to cut the flashings to size and a 2x4 and hammer to bend them into shape. After a lot of caulk we took her out of the lab using a caster mounted to a board placed underneath. Matt painted her and we took her out the following morning for a test paddle. Her name, Saçmalık, came from a vocab word in our Turkish class. Roughly translated, it means "nonsense". To our surprise she floated well and took in very little water. Within the next week, we finished fashioning the mast/boom/rudder/daggerboard (we made each one of these items) and she was ready to sail. Unfortunately, sailing her was next to impossible with her flimsy tarp sail, but it did unfurl and it looked pretty cool. We made friends with a fellow small boat sailor out on the Charles. In the end, we had no place to store her after Summer and she began to leak far too much to function, so we had to dispose of her.


IMG_2319 IMG_2345_cropped Screen%20Shot%202013-09-25%20at%2012.50.56%20PM Screen%20Shot%202013-09-25%20at%2012.51.11%20PM Screen%20Shot%202013-09-25%20at%2012.51.36%20PM