Frequently Asked Questions

What are the application requirements for the master’s programs?

Students who wish to apply to any of our graduate degree programs should complete an online application. In addition, a statement of purpose, official transcripts, GRE test scores, and two letters of recommendation are required. A résumé is optional. International applicants must also submit a TOEFL or IELTS test score report. Please refer to Graduate Admissions for more information.

What are the requirements for the Master of Engineering (MEng) and Master of Science (MS) degrees?

Both degrees require students to complete a minimum of 32 credit hours based on the individual department’s/division’s degree requirements.

What is the difference between the MS and the MEng?

Both degree programs emphasize advanced technical coursework and include an individual or team-based practicum design project associated with a set of courses. The MEng offers the opportunity to take graduate electives that can be flexibly chosen from across the College of Engineering, the science and math departments from the College of Arts and Sciences, as well as technical leadership courses from the Graduate School of Management. Students in the MS must complete coursework and a practicum. Beginning in Fall 2014, the practicum can be satisfied via either a design project or a formal thesis, which typically takes a year or more and requires that students secure a faculty thesis advisor.

How long does it take to complete a master’s degree?

Students interested in a coursework-only program can complete the degree in as little as one year of full-time study. Students who do a thesis as part of their Master of Science program may take up to two years to complete.

I’ve been admitted to the Master of Science program. Can I do a thesis?

Students interested in pursuing a thesis as part of their Master of Science program must identify a faculty thesis advisor and a suitable thesis project, and then defend the thesis before a committee of faculty upon completion of the thesis, prior to completing the program.

How does the College of Engineering support students looking to secure a job in their field following completion of their degree program?

Multiple networking events, including two annual engineering career fairs, provide insight into various types of industries and companies and connect students to prospective employers. In addition, the College of Engineering has an active Career Development Office which works with students to source employment opportunities, prepare for the interview process and provide guidance during offer negotiation.

Where are BU College of Engineering master’s graduates employed?

BU College of Engineering graduates are highly sought after by the leading science and technology companies, including GE, Raytheon, BAE, Boeing, EMC, Microsoft, Medtronic and VMware, to name just a few. Over 80% of our 2013 graduates are employed or pursuing further graduate study. Our Career Development Office works closely with students as soon as they arrive on campus to understand their career aspirations and provide them with the tools they need to land their dream job.

What kind of financial aid is available?

We offer a limited number of merit-based partial tuition scholarships, and need-based Federal student loans are also available and can be applied for using the FAFSA. You should list Boston University Code 002130.

Is housing provided for graduate students?

BU maintains a residential building for graduate students, as well as a number of rental properties. Our centrally located urban campus provides easy access to a wealth of housing options. Please visit http://www.bu.edu/orpm/ for more information about our housing options.

What kind of advising is available to graduate students?

All of our students are assigned a faculty advisor. In addition, the Grad Chair, Graduate Programs Office and Assoc. Dean for Grad Programs are all available to assist and provide advice.

What professional education opportunities does BU College of Engineering offer?

In addition to our master's degree programs, we offer a variety of programs to fit working professionals’ unique schedules, including graduate certificates and single non-degree courses that can be taken without enrolling in a degree or certificate program. Graduate certificates and our Master of Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering can be taken through our Distance Learning Program.

What is the difference between the Practicum and the Engineering Practice degree?

The practicum is a degree requirement which can be fulfilled through a thesis, independent project, or by taking an eligible project-intensive course. The Engineering Practice is a way for students to complete an internship and receive a ‘with engineering practice’ annotation on their degree. It does not carry any credit. It also permits international students to complete an internship while meeting the requirements of their visa restrictions.

An important degree option is the MS or MEng with Engineering Practice. This degree option is open to any student enrolled in one of the College of Engineering's masters programs and provides recognition to completion of an approved internship. Click here for more information.

How does the College of Engineering support students looking to secure a job in their field following completion of their degree program?