Change Class Standing

Petition to Change Class Standing – Graduation Date

Class year is determined by the number of Boston University and/or external credits that you have applied towards your degree and does not include courses for which you are currently enrolled. Class year standings are as follows:

Freshman (U1) – 0-31 credits
Sophomore (U2) – 32-63 credits
Junior (U3) – 64-95 credits
Senior (U4)– 96+ credits

Students must complete the following steps in order to request a change of class standing/graduation date. (–)
– Discuss your courses and your plans with your Faculty Advisor.

– Submit a Petition to Change Class Standing/Graduation Date

– Submit an Academic Plan of Completion along with your Petition to Change Class Standing/Graduation Date, detailing semester by semester how & when your remaining requirements will be satisfied.

Please note the following:
• Class standing/graduation date must coincide, if your request is approved, the petition is irrevocable.

 Requests will be reviewed and processed at the conclusion of the Spring Semester, effective the following fall.

 Any outstanding or pending petitions or transfer credit requests must be resolved before your petition will be reviewed

 Changing class standing and graduation date may affect future financial aid; we strongly recommend that you consult with the Office of the Financial Assistance at 881 Commonwealth Avenue, (617) 353-2965 to verify any impact for you before requesting a change in class year.

 International students should consult with the ISSO at 888 Commonwealth Avenue, (617) 353-3565 prior to requesting a change in class year, as this could impact your visa status.

The other schools use fillable forms on the website, can we work towards that? Especially since faculty advisors approval is not required.
Change Class Standing Form