Acoustical Society Honors Pierce

in NEWS

Professor Emeritus to Receive Distinguished Service Citation

By Michael G Seele

Professor Emeritus Allan Pierce
Professor Emeritus Allan Pierce

The Acoustical Society of America has named Professor Emeritus Allan D. Pierce (ME) recipient of its Distinguished Service Citation in recognition of his outstanding service, particularly his 15-year tenure as editor in chief.

“I owe a great deal to the Acoustical Society of America,” Pierce said. “It has given me the opportunity to meet many people who have similar interests, it has published the journal that has been my principal source of research stimulation since my earliest years as a researcher and it has provided a long-term forum for the exchange of ideas with people whom I admire and respect.”

Pierce joined the Mechanical Engineering faculty in 1993 after serving on the faculties of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the Georgia Institute of Technology and Pennsylvania State University. His book, Acoustics: An Introduction to its Physical Principles and Applications, is widely considered the definitive textbook on the subject. Pierce’s research includes the mechanics of waves, acoustics and structural vibrations.