Altug Promoted to Associate Professor

in NEWS

Assistant Professor Hatice Altug (ECE, MSE)

ECE Assistant Professor Hatice Altug was recently promoted to the rank of Associate Professor and awarded full tenure status by Boston University’s Board of Trustees.

“I am thrilled to have tenure and honored to be a part of BU,” Altug said. “I have been very lucky to work with extremely talented graduate students and researchers in my team. In achieving this important milestone in my career, I also would like to acknowledge my colleagues in BU, my dean, and my chair, David Castañón.”

Altug, who received her Ph.D. from Stanford University in 2006, has won multiple awards as a member of BU’s faculty, including the Boston University College of Engineering Dean’s Catalyst Award, NSF CAREER Award, and Photonics Society Young Investigator Award. In 2010, Popular Science magazine named her one of the top ten young scientists and engineers, and last year, President Barack Obama awarded her a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers.

Most recently, the Optical Society of America (OSA) presented her with its Adolph Lomb Medal. This award is presented to early career researchers who have made a significant contribution to the field of optics.

Additionally, she was profiled by the IEEE not only for being an accomplished researcher but also for her work as a mentor to current and prospective engineering students.

Since 2007, Altug has worked on a research team to develop a portable biosensor that has the potential to diagnose diseases rapidly and introduce ultrasensitive spectroscopy methods that can analyze important biomolecules such as proteins.

Her research interests include nanoscale photonic materials and devices, nano-plasmonics: optics of metallic nanostructures; nano-photonics: photonic crystals; bio-photonics: optical biosensors and spectroscopy; and opto-fluidics and lab-on-a-chip integration.

-Rachel Harrington (rachelah@bu.edu)