Today marks the 25 anniversary of the day that President George H.W.
Click here to visit the “Active Living with Arthritis” Podcast Series Library
ENACT’s Active Living with Arthritis podcasts are easy-to-access recordings that bring evidence-based information to adults with arthritis who want to initiate and sustain active lives. Arthritis and other rheumatic conditions such as lupus, fibromyalgia, and scleroderma significantly impact the lives of those affected, sometimes leading to general and work disability.
In a casual discussion format, Doctor of Physical Therapy candidate Sara Crandall and Clinical Professor of Occupational Therapy at Boston University’s Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Dr. Karen Jacobs, highlight physical activity benefits and guidelines while recognizing that sustaining physically active lifestyles can be quite challenging for people with chronic, painful conditions. The podcasts provide expert information and strategies for overcoming common barriers with the goal of generating a mechanism for people with arthritis and related conditions to maintain active lifestyles.
Look for the following podcasts as we develop our “Interact with ENACT” program area:
- Top Ten Reasons to Exercise with Arthritis (length 7:30)
- Ready to Move with Arthritis: Things to Know Before You Lace Up Your Sneakers (length 9:25)
- Guidelines Guidance: What to Do, How Much to Do, and How Hard to Work When Exercising with Arthritis (length 12:30)
- Bumps in the Road Part 1: Finding the Time for Exercise (length 11:10)
- Bumps in the Road Part 2: Finding the Place for Exercise (length (11:16)
- The Relationship Between Inflammation, Arthritis and Nutrition (length 12:08)
- Resources for Employed People with Arthritis or Other Rheumatic Conditions (11:02)
- When and How to Tell People at Work about Your Arthritis or Other Rheumatic Condition (10:24)
- Being a Caregiver: Caring for Someone and Managing Your Arthritis (15:21)
- Embracing Technology: Smartphone Apps for People with Arthritis (8:12)
- Doing What You Love: Gardening, Golf, and Tennis When Living with Knee Osteoarthritis (12:00)
- Beyond Walking and Strengthening: Tai Chi, Yoga, and Water Aerobics (7:37)
- Creating a Safer Home: Useful Equipment and Strategies for Household Activities (12:09)
- Fact or Fiction Part 1: The Seriousness of Osteoarthritis, Braces, Diet, and Weather (10:30)
- Fact or Fiction Part 2: Magnetic Bracelets, Glucosamine, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Arthroscopic Surgery, and Ice vs. Heat (8:46)
Sara Crandall (podcasts 1-5), Amber Steckel, and Kaitlin Thompson (podcasts 9-15) developed this series under guidance from ENACT center director Dr. Julie Keysor and BU’s Dr. Karen Jacobs. ENACT faculty Dr. Saralynn Allaire & Dr. Kristin Baker contributed to episodes 6-8.