Controlled Substances


The conduct of research with controlled substances (CS) is subject to extensive Federal and Massachusetts (MA) law.  Strict record keeping and security measures are required for all aspects of receipt, use, storage and disposal.  To ensure compliance with these regulations, and make better use of its research and administrative resources, the Boston University (BU) and the Legacy Charles River Campus (Legacy CRC) have revised its CS Programs.

Your work with controlled substances is covered by the Controlled Substances Program at Boston University (BU).

  • Approvals are required before you get started as a Principal Investigator working with Controlled Substances.
  • To get started as a co-investigator, technical staff or trainee (undergraduate or graduate student or postdoctoral trainee), you must:

    1. Have your name listed in Controlled Substances Registration for Privileges obtained by the Principal Investigator. To find out whom to contact to check whether your name is listed, see BU Controlled Substance Privileges
    2. Complete, and keep current, your individual training. For training recommendations, go to BU Controlled Substances Researcher Training (suggested).

    When you have completed the steps above, your have completed the pathway for Getting Started with Controlled Substances at BU.

  • FAQs A CS Program Investigator Q&A Handbook provides a summary of the BU Program as it applies to you, the investigator.
  • Policies Controlled Substance Program Policies define responsibilities and reporting requirements in the event of suspected noncompliance or diversion.
  • Resources Resources contains links to applications, forms, and information sheets.