Undergraduate Transfer Credit
Approval of transfer credit requires the submission of a completed transfer credit approval form and a course syllabus (a course description is not sufficient).
1. Read over all forms and instructions carefully. Failure to submit the proper information will result in an automatic denial of your transfer credit.
2. Select an equivalent course. Choose the Boston University course the best corresponds to the course you wish to take. Compare syllabi and course descriptions to help choose the best BU course.
3. Submit the transfer credit application to the Economics Department, 270 Bay State Road, Room 444, Boston, MA 02215. Be sure the form is completely filled out and that all syllabus material is attached along with a table of contents from the textbook that is used in the syllabus.
4. Your application must include a recent or future syllabus (not a course description) for each course that includes the following information:
- Institution, course number and title, instructor’s name and title
- Reading list (author, title, edition, publisher)
- Grading scheme
- Syllabus must be in English
5. Applications are reviewed by the Economics Department, and decisions are made by the Director of Undergraduate Studies. It can take up to one week to process your application during the academic year. Therefore, please submit your application in a timely manner. You will be informed by email about the decision once your application has been processed. Summer applications may take longer than one week if the DUS is not available, so it is highly recommended that you turn your materials in before the semester ends.
6. The Economics Department will not print or gather any supporting material for your transfer credit application. Syllabi and table of contents must be attached to the transfer application and dropped off in person.
7. Apply for transfer credit before you take the course. Do not assume that the course will be approved, and that you can fill out the application later. Do not assume that your application will be approved because someone else’s was!
8. After your transfer credit is processed, the staff will send it to the CAS Records office or the appropriate school, unless you specify that you wish to pick it up in person.