From Lobsters to Dim Sum: An Interview with PhD Candidate Gedeon Lim

Gedeon Lim

Question 1: Congratulations on your PhD. When is it official and what is your specialization?

Thanks, I’m a development economist, specializing in the political economy of development in Southeast Asia. Just to give you a flavor – my projects combine archival and primary survey data to study historical institutions or episodes that occurred way back when. For example, I use some of these episodes to study things like political pay and ethnic politics. Growing up in Singapore (where politicians are very well-paid and ethnicity is an important issue), these issues are very close to my heart and I’m immensely thankful to have had the opportunity to explore these topics under the awesome guidance and intellectual freedom granted to me by my advisors, friends, and the BU Econ community.

Right now, I plan to defend my thesis at the end of May. Alas! Though I do wish I was popping the Prosecco on campus, I did stock up during my last shelter-in-place grocery run so I’ll make do virtually.

Question 2: The news on the street is that you will be joining the U of Hong Kong. In what capacity – researcher or faculty? Or Both?

I’m incredibly lucky – I’ll be joining as tenure track faculty starting this July. HKU has a sizable faculty who specialize in, among other things, political economy and economic history. They also have a nifty research center (the Asia Global Institute) that organizes tons of economic history-centered seminars/workshops. I’m really looking forward to dipping my toes in a brand-new, vibrant, intellectual community and perhaps, a chance to invite some of you to Hong Kong sometime!

Question 3: Have you spent time in Hong Kong before, and do you know any of your future colleagues?

Incredibly, not much at all. Growing up, I’ve been to Hong Kong for sporadic family holidays but this will be the first time I’ll have a chance to really get to know the city. I knew some of them by their work but not personally. Having said that, everyone was very welcoming during the fly-out and, in the lead-up to my landing in Hong Kong, have been offering me loads of tips on settling in. So I’m stoked!

Question 4: What are you most looking forward to on your new adventure?

To being much closer to my study regions. I envision it’ll be easier to conduct fieldwork, explore future projects, and, in general, keep up with the pulse of these regions. Besides the academic side of things though – definitely food and mountains. Hong Kong is home to dim sum – which is, in my opinion, the most delectable sort of afternoon tea, asian-like tapas that everyone has to try at least once in their lives. The campus is also right next to some beautiful mountain trails so I’m looking forward to breaking out my hiking shoes.

Question 5: What is a lesson you will take with you from Boston University?

This is going to sound cliché but no man is an island just about sums it up. I couldn’t have gotten through these years without the support of my advisers and friends – people who often thought much more highly (and better) of me than I’d ever dare lay claim to. So a piece of (unwarranted) advice to all my fellow PhD-ers: Hang in there. The journey is super unpredictable (and lonely at times) but in the end, you’ll learn a lot about yourself and make a ton of friends while having the time of your lives.