Private LAN in PHO115
There is a private non-routed local area network (LAN) in PHO115 for the use of the ECE faculty and students.
Accessing the network
- The upper right (as viewed with the text facing up) jacks in each networking quad in room PHO115 have been wired into what is effectively a single switch.
- This means that, for example, a server may be plugged into one jack in the room, and several clients may be connected to other jacks, and they will have their own private LAN.
Services / Connectivity
- There are no networking services (DHCP, DNS, etc.) or IP addresses available on this segment, and it is not connected to any outside network. This feature allows the users to provide custom services using any machines plugged directly into it.
Flexibility of Service
- At the request of an ECE Faculty Member, this setup may be altered as desired to accommodate changing needs.
This setup was intended for an ECE class to be held in the PHO115 lab.
Service Setup for EC535
1 Server with two NICs, one to the outside network, one to the internal network in that lab.
- This machine serves up to two dozen custom boards each with a NIC that are sending packets to it in the lab.
The boards must be attached to the server through the private network in the class to prevent outside interference and dropped packets (a problem in previous semesters).
On that VLAN, the class would need: 1) Say (approximately) a 64 address subnet on our private 10 network with DHCP services for the boards. 2) Public addresses / inbound traffic blocked to the VLAN for security.
The boards just need a private domain to talk to the server directly through the switch.
Private LAN Ports
|196A-076||UR||Link 10 Half, no DHCP – Checked 03/23/12|
|196A-079||UR||Link 10 Half, no DHCP – Checked 03/23/12|
|196A-080||UR||Link 10 Half, no DHCP – Checked 03/23/12|
|196A-081||UR||No Link – Checked 03/23/12|
|196A-083||UR||Link 10 Half, no DHCP – Checked 03/23/12|
|196A-090||UR||Link 10 Half, no DHCP – Checked 03/23/12|
|196A-091||UR||Link 10 Half, no DHCP – Checked 03/23/12|
|196A-094||UR||Link 10 Half, no DHCP – Checked 03/23/12|
|196A-095||UR||Link 10 Half, no DHCP – Checked 03/23/12|
|196A-136||UR||No Link – Checked 03/23/12|