Professor (ECE, MSE)
PhD, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1998
office: PHO 521
office hours: contact for appointment
Honors, Awards, and Editorships
- Fellow, Optical Society of America (OSA)
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer Award, 2013-14
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff, OFS Laboratories, 2003
- Associate Editor, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, 2011-present
- Topical Editor, Optics Letters, 2008-2011
- Book editor, Springer-Verlag, 2007
- Guest Editor, IEEE-JSTQE issue on High-Power Fiber Lasers, 2009
- Dean’s Catalyst Award, 2012
- EK307 Electric Circuit Theory
- EC 563 Fiber-Optic Communication Systems
- EC 568 Optical Fibers and Waveguides
- EC 577 Electronic Optical and Magnetic Properties of Materials
- EC763 Nonlinear & Ultrafast Optics
- Optical physics of guided waves
- Micro- and nano-structured optical fibers
- High-power fiber lasers and fiber sensors
- Biomedical imaging and microscopy with optical fibers
- N. Bozinovic, Y. Yue, Y. Ren, M. Tur, P. Kristensen, H Huang, A. E. Willner, and S. Ramachandran, “Terabit-Scale Orbital Angular Momentum Mode Division Multiplexing in Fibers,” Science, vol. 340, no. 6140, p. 1545, June 2013.
- P. Steinvurzel, K. Tantiwanichapan, M. Goto, and S. Ramachandran, “Fiber-Based Bessel Beams with Controllable Diffraction-Resistant Distance,” Optics Letters, vol. 36, p. 4671, December 1, 2011.
- S. Ramachandran, P. Kristensen and M.F. Yan, “Generation and Propagation of Radially Polarized Beams in Optical Fibers,” Optics Letters, vol. 16, p. 2525, August 15, 2009.
- S. Ramachandran, “Ultra-Large Effective-Area, Higher-Order Mode Fibers: A New Strategy for High-Power Lasers,” Laser & Photonics Reviews, vol. 2, p. 429, December 2008.
- S. Ramachandran, J. W. Nicholson, S. Ghalmi, M. F. Yan, P. Wisk, E. Monberg and F. V. Dimarcello, “Light Propagation with Ultra-Large Modal Areas in Optical Fibers,” Optics Letters, vol. 31, p. 1797, June 15, 2006.
- Z. Wang, J. R. Heflin, R. H. Stolen and S. Ramachandran, “Highly Sensitive Optical Response of Optical Fiber Long Period Gratings to nm-Thick Ionic Self-Assembled Multilayers,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 223104, May 24, 2005.
- S. Ramachandran, “Dispersion-Tailored Few-Mode Fibers: A Versatile Platform for In-Fiber Photonic Devices,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 23, no. 11, p. 3426, November 2005.
- S. Ramachandran and S. G. Bishop, “Photoinduced Integrated-Optic Devices in Rapid Thermally Annealed Chalcogenide Glasses,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 11, p. 260, January/February 2005.
- S. Ramachandran, Z. Wang and M.F. Yan, “Bandwidth Control of Long-Period Grating-Based Mode-Converters in Few-Mode Fibers,” Optics Letters, vol. 27, p. 698, May 1, 2002.
- S. Ramachandran, B. Mikkelsen, L. C. Cowsar, M. F. Yan, G. Raybon, L. Boivin, M. Fishteyn, W. A. Reed, P. Wisk, D. Brownlow, R. G. Huff, and L. Gruner-Nielsen, “All-Fiber Grating-Based Higher Order Mode Dispersion Compensator for Broad-Band Compensation and 1000-km Transmission at 40 Gb/s,” Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 13, no. 6, p. 632, June 2001.