Professor (ECE, BME, MSE)
Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Programs
PhD, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1992
Honors, Awards, and Editorships
- 1996 NSF CAREER Award
- 1996 ONR Young Investigator Award
- 2002 ECE Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Fellow, IEEE
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics
- 2006 College of Engineering Service Award
- 2007 Dean’s Catalyst Award
- 2007 ARCNN Distinguished Lecturer
- 2005-2007 IEEE/LEOS Distinguished Lecturer
- 2008 TÜBITAK Special Award
- EC410 Introduction to Electronics
- EC563 Fiber-Optic Communication System
- EC570 Lasers
- EC770 Guided-wave Optoelectronics
- EC892 Seminar: Electro-Physics
- near-field optical microscopy and spectroscopy of semiconductor materials and devices
- design, processing, characterization, and simulation of semiconductor optoelectronic devices
- nanoscale imaging of biological samples
- M. R. Monroe, G. G. Daaboul, A. Tuysuzoglu, C. A. Lopez, F. F. Little, and M. S. Ünlü, “Single Nanoparticle Detection for Multiplexed Protein Diagnostics with Attomolar Sensitivity in Serum and Unprocessed Whole Blood,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 3698-3706, March/April 2013.
- S. Ahn, C. Huang, E. Ozkumur, X. Zhang, J. Chinnala, A. Yalcin, S. Bandyopadhyay, S. Russek, M. S. Ünlü, C. DeLisi, and R. Irani, “TATA Binding Proteins Can Recognize Nontraditional DNA Sequences,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 103, pp. 1510-1517, October 2012.
- F. H. Koklu, and M. S. Ünlü, “Subsurface Microscopy of Interconnect Layers of an Integrated Circuit,” Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 184, January 15, 2010.
- A. Yurt, G. G. Daaboul, J. H. Connor, B. B. Goldberg, and M. S. Ünlü, “Single Nanoparticle Detectors for Biological Applications,” Nanoscale, vol. 4, no. 3, pp.715-726, 2012.
- G. G. Daaboul, A. Yurt, X. Zhang, G. M. Hwang, B. B. Goldberg, and M. S. Ünlü, “High-Throughput Detection and Sizing of Individual Low-Index Nanoparticles and Viruses for Pathogen Identification,“ Nano Letters, vol. 11, pp. 4727-4731, October 2010.
- E. Ozkumur, J. Needham, D. A. Bergstein, R. Gonzalez, M. Cabodi, J. Gershoni, B. B. Goldberg, and M. S. Ünlü, “Label-Free and Dynamic Detection of Biomolecular Interactions for High-Throughput Microarray Applications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, vol. 105, pp. 7988-7992, June 10, 2008.
- A. N. Vamivakas, M. Atature, J. Dreiser, S. T. Yilmaz, A. Badolato, A. K. Swan, B. B. Goldberg, A. Imamoglu, and M. S. Ünlü, “Strong Extinction of a Far-Field Laser Beam by a Single Quantum Dot,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 2892-2896, September 2007.
- A. Yalcin, K. C. Popat, J. C. Aldridge, T. A. Desai, J. Hryniewicz, N. Chbouki, B. E. Little, O. King, V. Van, S. T. Chu, D. Gill, M. F. Anthes-Washburn, M. S. Ünlü, and B. B. Goldberg, “Optical Sensing of Biomolecules Using Microring Resonators,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 12, pp. 148-155, January/February 2006.
- O. I. Dosunmu, D. D. Cannon, M. K. Emsley, L. C. Kimerling, and M. S. Ünlü, “High-Speed Resonant Cavity Enhanced Ge Photodetectors on Reflecting Si Substrates for 1550-nm Operation,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters , vol. 17, no. 1, January 2005, pp. 175-177.
- M. S. Ünlü, and S. C. Strite, “Resonant Cavity Enhanced Photonic Devices,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 607-639, July 15, 1995.