Associate Professor (ECE, MSE)
PhD, California Institute of Technology, 1998
Honors, Awards, and Editorships
- Dean’s Catalyst Award, College of Engineering, Boston University (2011 & 2009)
- Vice Chair, IEEE Laser and Electro-Optics Society (LEOS), New England Chapter
- Senior Member, IEEE
- 2008 BU Office of Technology Development Ignition Award
- EK 131/132 Introduction to Engineering
- EK307 Electric Circuit Theory
- EC560 Introduction to Photonics
- EC577 Electronic Optical and Magnetic Properties of Materials
- EC591 Photonics Lab I
- EC700 Advanced Special Topics
- device physics and applications of semiconductor quantum structures
- optoelectronic devices based on group-III nitride semiconductors
- terahertz photonics
- plasmonics and related optoelectronic device applications
- novel device concepts and circuit architectures for ultrafast all-optical information processing
- J. Henson, E. Dimakis, J. DiMaria, R. Li, S. Minissale, L. Dal Negro, T. D. Moustakas, and R. Paiella, “Enhanced Near-Green Light Emission from InGaN Quantum Wells by Use of Tunable Plasmonic Resonances in Silver Nanoparticle Arrays,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 20, pp. 21322-21329, September 22, 2010.
- K. Driscoll, Y. Liao, A. Bhattacharyya, L. Zhou, D. J. Smith, T. D. Moustakas, and R. Paiella, “Optically Pumped Intersubband Emission of Short-Wave Infrared Radiation with GaN/AlN Quantum Wells,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 94, no. 8, article no. 081120, February 27, 2009.
- Y. Li, A. Bhattacharyya, C. Thomidis, T. D. Moustakas, and R. Paiella, “Ultrafast All-Optical Switching with Low Saturation Energy via Intersubband Transitions in GaN/AlN Quantum-Well Waveguides,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 26, pp. 17922-17927, December 17, 2007.
- K. Driscoll and R. Paiella, “Silicon-Based Injection Lasers Using Electronic Intersubband Transitions in the L Valleys,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 89, no. 19, art. no. 191110, November 8, 2006.
- F. Capasso, R. Paiella, R. Martini, R. Colombelli, C. Gmachl, T. L. Myers, M. S. Taubman, R. M. Williams, C. G. Bethea, K. Unterrainer, H. Y. Hwang, D. L. Sivco, A. Y. Cho, A. M. Sergent, H. C. Liu, and E. A. Whittaker, “Quantum Cascade Lasers: Ultrahigh-Speed Operation, Optical Wireless Communication, Narrow Linewidth, and Far-Infrared Emission,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 511-532, June 2002.
- R. Paiella, F. Capasso, C. Gmachl, D. L. Sivco, J. N. Baillargeon, A. L. Hutchinson, A. Y. Cho, and H. C. Liu, “Self-Mode-Locking of Quantum Cascade Lasers with Giant Ultrafast Optical Nonlinearities,” Science, vol. 290, no. 5497, pp. 1739-1742, December 1, 2000.