PhD, Boston University, 1997
Honors, Awards, and Editorships
- Prize Lecture, NSF CEDAR Conference (2000)
- SRI Presidential Achievement Award (2004)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research (2004-2006)
- NSF CAREER Award (2006)
- Laser Focus World, Commendation for Excellence in Technical Communication (2008)
- ECE Faculty Teaching Award (2009)
- Plenary tutorial, NSF GEM Conference (2010)
- EK307 Electric Circuit Theory
- EC455 Electromagnetic Systems I
- EC700 Advanced Special Topics
- EC707 Radar Remote Sensing
- EC401 Signals and Systems
- ionospheric and space plasma physics
- spectroscopy of atmospheric airglow and the aurora borealis
- image processing
- radar systems and radar signal processing
- Goenka, C., J. Semeter, J. Noto, H. Dahlgren, R. Marshall, J. Baumgardner, J. Riccobono, M. Migliozzi, “Tunable Optical Instrument for Multispectral Imaging of Aeronomical Features,” Advanced Space Research 52, 1366-1377, 2013.
- Akbari, H., J. Semeter, M.J. Nicolls, “Localization of auroral Langmuir turbulence in thin layers,” Journal of Geophysical Research. , Res. 118 doi:10.1002/jgra.50314.2013, 2013.
- Dahlgren, H., J. Semeter, R. Marshall, and M. Zettergren, “The optical manifestation of field-aligned bursts in the aurora,” Journal of Geophysical Research, Res. 118, doi: 10.1002/jgra.50415, 2013.
- M. Zettergren and J. Semeter, “Ionospheric Plasma Transport and Loss in Auroral Downward Current Regions,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 117, no. A16, June 2012.
- H. Dahlgren, J. Semeter, K. Hosokawa, M. Nicolls, M. G. Johnsen and K. Shiokawa, “Direct Three-Dimensional Imaging of Polar Ionospheric Structures with the Resolute Bay Incoherent Scatter Radar,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 39, no. 5, March 2012.
- H. Akbari, J. L. Semeter, H. Dahlgren, M. Diaz, M. Zettergren, A. Stromme, M. J. Nicolls, and C. Heinselman, “Anomalous ISR Echoes Preceding Auroral Breakup: Evidence for Strong Langmuir Turbulence,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 39, no. 3, February 2012.
- J. Semeter, “Coherence in Auroral Fine Structure,” Auroral Phenomenology and Magnetospheric Processes: Earth and Other Planets, Geophysical Monograph Series, vol. 197, pp.81-90, 2012.
- M. A. Diaz, J. Semeter, M. Oppenheim, and M. Zettergren, “Analysis of Beam Plasma Instability Effects on Incoherent Scatter Spectra,” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 28, December 10, 2010.
- T. W. Butler, J. Semeter, C. J. Heinselman, and M.J. Nicolls, “Imaging F-Region Drifts Using Monostatic Phased-Array Incoherent Scatter Radar,” Radio Science, vol. 45, no. 5, October 2010.
- J. Semeter, T. Butler, C. Heinselman, M. Nicolls, J. Kelly, and D. Hampton, “Volumetric Imaging of the Auroral Ionosphere: Initial Results from PFISR,” Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, vol. 71, no. 6-7, May 2009.
- J. Semeter, S. Mende, M. Zettergren, and M. Diaz, “Wave Dispersion and the Discrete Aurora: New Constraints Derived from High Resolution Imagery,” Journal of Geophysical Research Space Physics, vol. 113, no. A12, December 2008.
- J. Semeter and E.M. Blixt, “Evidence for Alfve ́n Wave Dispersion Identified in High-Resolution Auroral Imagery,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 33, no. 13, July 2006.
- J. Semeter, C. J. Heinselman, G. G. Sivjee, H. U. Frey, and J. W. Bonnell, “Ionospheric Response to Wave-Accelerated Electrons Along the Nightside Polar Cap Boundary,” Journal of Geophysical Research Space Physics, vol. 110, no. A11, November 2005.
- J. Semeter and F. Kamalabadi, “Determination of Primary Electron Spectra From Incoherent Scatter Radar Measurements of the Auroral E-Region,” Radio Science, vol. 40, no. 2, April 2005.