Associate Professor (ECE, MSE)
PhD, Boston University, 1993
Honors, Awards, and Editorships
- Dean’s Catalyst Award, College of Engineering, Boston University (2011)
- Senior Member, IEEE
- EK131/132 Introduction to Engineering
- EC307 Electrical Circuit Theory
- EC471 Physics of Semiconductor Devices
- EC481 Fundamentals of Nanotechnology
- EC575 Semiconductor Devices
- EC764 Optical Measurement
- EC892 Seminar: Electro-Physics
- optical studies using Raman spectroscopy
- rayleigh scattering and time-resolved pump-probe experiments to study electronic and vibrational properties and energy dissipation mechanisms and exciton dynamics of low dimensional systems- graphene and carbon nanotubes
- studies performed on single, individual nanotubes and quantum dots
- spectral self-interference spectroscopy for high resolution imaging and biosensing
- D. M. Harrah and A. K. Swan, “The Role of Length and Defects on Optical Quantum Efficiency and Exciton Decay Dynamics in Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes,” Acs Nano, vol. 5, no. 1, 2011, pp. 647-655.
- J. R. Schneck, A. G. Walsh, A. A. Green, M. C. Hersam, L. D. Ziegler, and A. K. Swan, “Electron Correlation Effects on the Femtosecond Dephasing Dynamics of E22 Excitons in (6,5) Carbon Nanotubes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 115, 2011, pp. 3917-3923.
- J. G. Duque, H. Chen, A. K. Swan, A. P. Shreve, S. Kilina, S. Tretiak, X. Tu, M. Zheng, and S. K. Doorn, “Violation of the Condon Approximation in Semiconducting Carbon Nanotubes,” Acs Nano, May 26, 2011.
- J. G. Duque, H. Chen, A. K. Swan, E. H. Haroz, J. Kono, X. Tu, M. Zheng, and S. K. Doorn, “Revealing New Electronic Behaviours in the Raman Spectra of Chirality-enriched Carbon Nanotube Ensembles,” Physica Status Solidi B, vol. 247, no. 11-12, September 13, 2010, pp. 2768-2773.
- C. Metzger, S. C. Remi, M. Liu, S. V. Kusminskiy, A. H. Castro-Neto, A. K. Swan, and B. B. Goldberg, “Biaxial Strain in Graphene Adhered to Shallow Depressions,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 1, 2010, pp. 6-10.
- A. G. Walsh, W. Bacsa, A. N. Vamivakas, and A. K. Swan, “Spectroscopic Properties Unique to Nano-Emitters,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, October 29, 2008, pp. 4330-4334.
- A. N. Vamivakas, R. D. Younger, B. B. Goldberg, A. K. Swan, M. S. Ünlü, E. R. Behringer, and S. B. Ippolito, “A Case Study for Optics: The Solid Immersion Microscope,” American Journal of Physics, vol. 76, August 2008, pp. 758-768.
- A. G. Walsh, A. N. Vamivakas, Y. Yin, S. B. Cronin, M. S. Ünlü, B. B. Goldberg, and A. K. Swan, “Scaling of Exciton Binding Energy with External Dielectric Function in Carbon Nanotubes,” Physica E, vol. 40, May 2008, pp. 2375-2379.
- M. Dogan, A. Yalcin, S. Jain, M. B. Goldberg, A. K. Swan, M. S. Ünlü, and B. B. Goldberg, “Spectral Self-Interference Fluorescence Microscopy for Subcellular Imaging,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 14, no. 1, January/February 2008.
- A. N. Vamivakas, M. Atature, J. Dreiser, S. T. Yilmaz, A. Badolato, A. K. Swan, B. B. Goldberg, A. Imamoglu, and M. S. Ünlü, “Strong Extinction of a Far-Field Laser Beam by a Single Quantum Dot,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 9, September 2007, pp. 2892-2896.
- A. G. Walsh, A. N. Vamivakas, Y. Yin, S. B. Cronin, M. S. Ünlü, B. B. Goldberg, and A. K. Swan, “Screening of Excitons in Single, Suspended Carbon Nanotubes,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 6, May 9, 2007, pp. 1485-1488.
- Y. Yin, A. N. Vamivakas, A. G. Walsh, S. B. Cronin, M. S. Ünlü, B. B. Goldberg, and A. K. Swan, “Optical Determination of Electron-Phonon Coupling in Carbon Nanotubes,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 98, no. 3, January 19, 2007, p. 037404.