Professor and President
PhD, University of Minnesota, 1979
office: John and Kathryn Silber Administrative Center, 8th Floor
contact for appointment
- Mathematical modeling of the fluid mechanics, heat and mass transfer and interfacial phenomena associated with materials processing; especially, melt crystal growth, polymer processing and coating deposition.
- Fluid mechanics of viscoelastic fluids. Analysis and numerical simulation of flow instabilities.
- Prediction and characterization of microscopic changes in interface morphology during directional solidification. Experimental measurement of microscale morphologies in melt/solid interfaces during solidification.
- Efficient numerical solutions of transport problems, especially by finite element methods.
- Modeling the dynamics of defects in crystalline semiconductors grown from the melt and in semiconductor processing.