Some Important Rules
In order to ensure your well being and safety during your entire stay in the dormitory, it is of paramount importance that you follow the rules of dormitory life.
Please find below some important housing rules:
- You will receive an inventory list, when you move in. Please, take the time to check, if everything you see on the list is there. Please, also check the conditions of the furniture, walls, mattress etc. Report any defects or damages on an extra sheet and submit it to your RA or directly to the janitor of your dorm. Please, be extremely accurate with that, as you may be held liable for any unreported damages, when you move out. IMPORTANT: Please, keep a copy of the inventory list that you signed upon moving in!!!
If you have not yet received one, please, ask your janitor for it.
- Many doors in the dorm lock automatically. Make sure that you always carry your key with you, even if you just go to the kitchen or the bathroom.
In case you lock yourself out of your room, please, notify your RA who will call the janitor during his working hours from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. or call the key service (+49 170-7333-819)
The key service will let you into your room for a fee of € 50 (from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.) or
€ 80 (from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. and on Sundays and Holidays).
We strongly discourage students from breaking into their own rooms.
In case of damage the student will have to cover the repair his/herself. (ca. 600 € – 900 €)
- Please, always keep your room, kitchen and bathroom closed at any time. An open door is an invitation to thieves. Please, also make sure that you lock your door twice before you leave the house. Your property insurance does not accept claims, unless you can proof that you locked your door properly.
- Never leave any valuables in “community areas”, such as the kitchen and/or the bathroom.
- In case of incidents or trouble with your neighbours or roommates, please note, that you must file a complaint with the janitor. Do not hesitate to contact your RA for assistance with that.
- Most importantly, please, be quiet in the hallways at any time and turn down the noise level in your room after 10.00 PM.
- Never block the hallways with any of your belongings, because that prevents the cleaning personal to do their job.
- As you will be responsible for cleaning the kitchens and bathrooms yourself taking turns with your suite mates, please, ask for/design and adhere to the cleaning plan.
- When you are moving out: Before you move out of the dorm, please, make sure that you clear your room of all your belongings. Detailed instructions will be given during your pre-departure orientation session at the end of the program.
You can find a detailed set of rules in the appendix of your Orientation Handbook
and at the homepage of the dorm administration
It will be your duty to familiarize yourself with them
and adhere to them.
If a Boston University Dresden Program participant violates these rules in any way, s/he may be expelled from the dorm and there will be very little that the program can do for you.