General Safety- On Foot & Wheels
Staying safe on and off campus requires common-sense precautions and attention to your surroundings.
- Carry your BU ID card at all times, but don’t carry your keys and BU ID on the same key ring or holder
- Always be alert to your surroundings. Take care when using personal electronic devices, as they limit your awareness.
- Log important (BUPD, 911, your RA, a reliable cab company, etc.) numbers into your mobile phone.
- Use pedestrian crosswalks.
- Always look for cars, bikes, and trolleys before crossing the street or MBTA tracks.
- Don’t dart in front of traffic to catch a train or bus.
- Stay off rail/train tracks.
- Stay off the frozen Charles River during winter months.
- At night, walk in well-lit areas and avoid walking alone; use the Buddy System!
- Use the Escort Security Service (617-353-4877) or walk with a friend.
On Your Bike, Scooter, or Skateboard
- Always wear a helmet.
- Learn, use, and obey traffic signals. Remember, riders must obey the same traffic laws as motor vehicle operators.
- If riding at night, use reflectors and lights.
- Give pedestrians the right of way.
- Ride defensively. Watch for cars and car doors opening.
- Do not weave in and out of traffic.
- Slow down at intersections and look both ways before crossing.
- Always lock your bike or scooter with a strong lock in good condition.
- Register your bike with the Boston University Police Department. A registered bike is more likely to be recovered if stolen.