As we start a new semester, I'm thinking back to things that...
Staying safe on and off campus requires common-sense precautions and attention to your surroundings.
- Carry your BU ID card at all times, but don’t carry your keys and BU ID on the same key ring or holder.
- Always secure personal items. Never leave your valuables unattended.
- Stay off the frozen Charles River during winter months.
- Wear protective gear when rollerblading, skateboarding, and biking.
- Always be alert to your surroundings. Take care when using personal electronic devices, as they limit your awareness, making you more vulnerable to accidents or to being victimized.
- Log important (BUPD, 911, your RA, a reliable cab company, etc.) numbers into your mobile phone.
- Use pedestrian crosswalks.
- Always look for cars, bikes, and trolleys before crossing the street or MBTA tracks.
- Don’t dart in front of traffic to catch a train or bus.
- Stay off rail/train tracks.
- At night, walk in well-lit areas.
- Use the Escort Security Service (617-353-4877) or walk with a friend.
On Your Bike
- Always wear a helmet.
- Learn, use, and obey traffic signals. Remember, bikers must obey the same traffic laws as motor vehicle operators.
- If riding at night, use reflectors and lights.
- Give pedestrians the right of way.
- Ride defensively. Watch for cars and car doors opening.
- Do not weave in and out of traffic.
- Slow down at intersections and look both ways before crossing.
- Keep your bike well maintained.
- Always lock your bike with a strong lock in good condition.
- Register your bike with the Boston University Police Department. A registered bike is more likely to be recovered if stolen.