A note to our community to begin the new semester – January 2021

And yet, the dawn is ours before we knew it.

Somehow we do it.

Somehow we’ve weathered and witnessed

— from Amanda Gorman’s “The Hill We Climb”

Friends,

As we make our own journeys, we have completed, together, another trip around the Sun. Welcome to those of you who will be joining us in-person on campus or virtually for the first time, especially the members of the Class of 2024! A hearty shoutout to those of you who made a path into theory and the unknown for us last semester — your flexibility, innovation and strength are most appreciated and legendary. Welcome back!

The hard, collective work of community begins again.

In the last year I realized how much I miss serendipity. I gained a new appreciation for pausing and planning my commuting, meetings, exercising, and listening to music. I write to remind you of a few important items and ask that you pause, review this information, and incorporate it into your academic, social and personal plans.

First things first. Review and update your Learn from Anywhere (LfA) status within the Student Link.  Be sure to update your LfA status as your circumstances change throughout the semester, and be sure to do so only 24 hours before the change in your location or status. Updating your status too soon (prior to 24 hours before may result in you being out of compliance for your testing and attestation frequency.) Updating your Learn from Anywhere status will inform the Healthway Student Patient Connect system to determine if you will need COVID-19 testing, and how often. (It also informs the InClassLfA app, ensures access to campus facilities and other systems and services around campus.)

To date, you have received a lot of information via email. In addition to any messages you received from your professors and deans, I insist that you take time to visit the Back2BU website and thoroughly review pertinent portions of the posted guides. You also received an email message full of information and reminders from the University Registrar. Give yourself time to read these important messages.

I have sent you lots of information that involve expectations, policies, and guidance for us to live with COVID-19. In addition to these policies, please take a look at the Code of Student Responsibilities – the standards for how we keep ourselves safe and maintain a community of people engaged in their good works. Please also take the time to review the University’s policies for academic (especially the academic policies of your school or college) and non-academic conduct. As you engage in activities in and around the campus, you have to be diligent about so many things. Please remain diligent about your safety. I encourage you to review our website on personal safety, especially the content within the sections on sexual misconduct and fire safety. Feel free to ask questions of people and departments here to respond to your concerns and to help you find solutions to problems. Let’s also continue to do what we do best – look after each other.

The last year has also taught me the importance of taking a pause to focus on personal restoration – to break my pace, routines, and workloads so I can re-connect with friends and others and tackle life-maintenance tasks. I’ve signed you up for a 4-week online Wellness Challenge program. Each week, you’ll receive an email with tips and suggestions for self-care. Finally, if you catch me, earbuds-in and dancing in public, here is my vibe – I’ll share.

We’ve shared, and you’ve received, lots of information to get you back to BU. I look forward to working with you to bring BU back.

Contact us with questions.

Fondly,

Kenneth Elmore

Associate Provost and Dean of Students