A note from Dean Elmore – November 4, 2020

The following was sent to students on the afternoon of November 4, 2020.

Today, to a Beloved Community,

We’ve all worked hard to build the social cohesion and spirit of community needed to deal with the coronavirus.

We’ve paused to listen and reflect about racial justice in this society.

We continue to have painful and joyous conversations.

We urged each other to post, march, rally, and vote. 

Whether it is COVID, the just society, or the elections for President of the United States, we are all living in the uncertainty of not knowing. Whatever the outcome of the election, let’s keep working to make this the place where we have the grace to look at each other and ask, “Why was that a good choice for you.” Or to be curious and listen when we say, “Tell me more.” (I remind you to use the outdoor tents that have been put up on the Booth Plaza and the BU Beach on the Charles River Campus for your conversations.) 

I also remind you of the list of ways you can come together around this current moment. If none of this works for you, consider the power of your own informal conversations. I have appreciated the folks who have contacted me with a “How are you doing?” or “You aight?” Today, tomorrow, and tomorrow, check in with someone. Pull someone back into your conversations. Start a new and true dialogue. I am sure they will appreciate it. Above all else,

(and, all together) Breathe in, breathe out,

Kenneth Elmore

Associate Provost and Dean of Students

2 comments

1. Dear Dean Elmore, thank you for your heartfelt words, they always warm my heart and I’m sure our student feel the same.

2. Dean Elmore,
    From orientation to this moment —since my daughter,Olivia Ritter’21, began her journey as a Terrier — YOU – your words and your calm leadership, have made such an impact on me. Thank you for your steadfast dedication to the BU community!
    Best,
    Shari Ritter