Alumni Advice: Matt Molloy

Matt Molloy (COM ’03) has spent most of his career introducing traditional TV stations to digital and social media, and he has built a loyal fanbase doing it.

Molloy has spent much of his TV career creating and curating digital content, which has led to his current position at 13WHAM, an ABC affiliate in Rochester, NY. In addition to traditional anchor duties, he anchors Live @ 13WHAM, a daily newscast aired only on the station’s website and Facebook page. The show is fun when it can be, serious when it needs to be, and attracts viewers from all over the country (we even put it on in our office!)

We asked Molloy for three quick tips for BU students.

What is one bucket list item you think every single BU student should do before they graduate?

A hockey game! There’s no better way to experience the spirit of BU than to attend a hockey game. The energy at the games is contagious! Years later, it’s still fun to follow the team and see them succeed. You’ll become a lifelong fan.

What one piece of advice – career, school or otherwise – do you have for current students?

Take time to soak up the experience. BU is unique in that your campus is Boston. You get to explore the streets of an amazing city every day. Take advantage of it and don’t be afraid to venture beyond the city. One of my favorite places to visit is Cape Cod. You’re attending college in one of the best cities in the world – enjoy it!

What do you wish you had known when you graduated? What surprised you about life outside of school?

I wish I knew how quickly my time at BU would go by! I loved my time there and have great memories. I wouldn’t call this a surprise, but many of the relationships and connections I made at BU are still there today and you never have to look far to find somebody with a BU connection.

Alumni Advice is a new series where the Dean of Students office reaches out to young alumni for their quick tips and tricks about BU and beyond. Interested in being featured? Reach out to Kat Cornetta at katcorn@bu.edu.