Personal Reflection: Remembering Nelson Mandela

32-131-36F-98-Free Nelson Mandela LSM poster

Nelson Mandela was the shining example of grace and dignity on this earth, with politics that tore at the limits of nonviolence within a surreal, dystopian society. He awakened my intellectual fire and later conquered a world.

His words, work, and persistence insisted that I be conscious. He was my Sengbe Pieh, Harriet Tubman, Ella Baker, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Angela Davis. He made me learn of front lines and about places I rarely considered—Angola, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Zambia, and Mozambique.

I am so glad I got to be present with him—a quick moment from within a crowd. I felt my heart banging and I cried. I’ll cry again.

Long live his spirit that gave me the first movement in which I felt I was an active participant. It pleases me that I will have deep memories of the time we lived on this earth together.

Peace to Nelson Mandela.

___________________

This reflection also appeared as part of BU Today’s “Remembering Nelson Mandela: BU community weighs antiapartheid leader’s towering legacy.”

One comment

1. Hi Dean Elmore,
    I was looking at the Alumni Webcam for Marsh Chapel and noticed the US flag wasn’t at half-mast. Wondering why it hadn’t been lowered for Nelson Mandela this week. Maybe an oversight? I do see the other flag lowered, but wondered why the choice not to honor him with the lowering of the US flag. Thanks!