Originally posted Sept. 4, 2014 - After a hiatus, Coffee and Conversation...
What To Bring To BU…And What NOT To Bring!
If you partook in a Summer Send Off event this August, you received a list of what you can and cannot bring to campus. For those of you who lost the list, or who didn’t have the chance to attend, here is the list. Housing also makes the list available on their website.
Things to Bring to BU
• Alarm Clock
• Extra Long Sheets and Quilt/Comforter – University beds are 80” long. Look for “Twin Extra-Long” sheets available at most department and discount stores.
• Mattress Cover
• Extension Cord and Surge Protector
• Metal Wastebasket
• A cup or mug, plate, bowl, fork, knife, and spoon – Make sure they are microwave safe!
• Flashlight with extra batteries
• A dry-erase board for the exterior of your room door
• Computer and related accessories – There are several computer labs on campus with computers and printers for your use as well.
• Highlighters, Pens, Pencils, Paper, Notebooks, Loose Notebook Paper, Binders, Post-It Notes, Paper Clips, Scissors, Tape, Stapler, Binder Clips
• Daily Planner
• Shower Shoes – “Flip-flops” will work fine
• Bathroom bucket/basket
• Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Shampoo, Soap, and other Toiletries
• Iron and Ironing Board
• Laundry Bag, Detergent, Fabric Sheets, Quarters for Laundry
• “Husband” pillow – A long pillow that can be used as a back rest when sitting on your bed.
• Decorations – Even though you’ll find poster sales both on- and off-campus, be sure to bring photos, wall calendars and other mementos to make your room feel like home.
• Adhesive putty or poster strips – You’ll need to take care when tacking up posters to room walls not to damage the paint or finish. Because you may not use nails or screws ― and duct tape and masking tape tend to remove paint ― using adhesive putty is your best option.
• Refrigerators – Small refrigerators of not more than four (4) cubic feet) are allowed in the residences. Microfridges, which come with a microwave, refrigerator and freezer are available for rent from BU’s Vending Services. To learn more about renting a Microfridge visit our Vending website.
Things NOT to Bring to BU
• Alcoholic Beverages (if you are under 21 years of age)
• Drugs, narcotics, drug paraphernalia
• Weapons (including replicas, souvenir, decorative and recreational)
• Dangerous substances
• Mace and pepper spray
• Halogen lamps
• Fake IDs
• Bongs, water pipes, hookah, shisha pipes, hubble-bubbles, or any object filled with water through which tobacco smoke, aromatic smoke or smoke from other substances many be drawn
• Banned appliances, including but not limited to:
• Microwaves (except for Microfridge units rented through BU)
• Coffee makers (K-Cup Machines or other single cup machines included)
• Hot plates
• Hot pots
• Space heaters
• Air conditioners
• Rice cookers
• Other food preparation appliances
• Clove/Herbal cigarettes
• Speakers that are larger than 12 inches by 20 inches
• Electric blankets