Fall 2010 Back-To-Campus Email From Dean Elmore

This email was sent to all students on Thursday, September 2, 2010 via e-mail.
——–
Welcome and Welcome back!

It’s hard to believe – another year around the sun (I’m getting old). Let me ask that question we’ve all asked and answered so many times today: how was your break? I hope it was wonderful – restful, productive, and beautiful.

Nature has decided to keep this environment exciting. We expect high winds and heavy rains in the Boston area as a major storm passes through this region. The exact track of the storm will determine the impact on the Boston University community (anticipated Friday night, September 3, into early Saturday morning, September 4). A Boston University emergency response team is in contact with appropriate state agencies and is coordinating campus preparation and response.We will provide updated information through BU Today or, if necessary, the BU Alert emergency notification system. Please ensure that your personal safety is your highest priority. I urge you to remain cautious when traveling — on and off campus — and to use good judgment.

Storm aside; we already started the year off with grand excitement. I can tell the story of more than 1,200 students who came back to the campus, early, to lend their hands and hearts to more than 24,000 hours of service in Greater Boston – no one in the City does it better. The BU Class of 2014 – 4,300, strong – walked through the streets of the City, together, for a ceremonious welcome and induction into this community. And, many of you gave your energy to the start of the year and a contribution to the spirit of this place.

I am obligated to remind you of a few important items. First, take a look at the Code of Student Responsibilities – the standards for how we keep ourselves safe and maintain a community of people engaged in their good works. (Please also take the time to review the University’s policies for academic and non-academic conduct.) As you engage in activities in and around the campus, please remain diligent about your personal safety and fire safety. Feel free to ask questions of the people and departments here to respond to your concerns and to help you find solutions to problems. Let’s also continue to do what we do best – look after each other.

Finally, if you are eligible to do so, I encourage you to register to vote. If you drop off a voter registration form to my office, we’ll make sure it gets to the right place. Look for voter registration drives organized by departments, clubs, and organizations around campus. Remember that elections are held this and every year.

Please contact us with any questions. All the best in this new year,

Stay well and stay safe,

Kenneth Elmore,
Dean of Students

P.S. In the future, I’ll post messages on the Dean’s Blog – be sure to visit often.