Position Announcement: Postdoctoral Associate in Learning Analytics
Boston University’s Digital Learning Initiative, in conjunction with the Hariri Institute for Computing, are looking for a postdoctoral candidate to engage in innovative research in learning analytics, including, but not limited to, experiments and analyses related to Boston University’s MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses).
A doctorate in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field, with a specialization in Data Mining, Machine Learning, Statistics, or other related field, is required. Applicants are expected to have strong technical and communication skills, a passion for data analysis and, of course, interest, and ideally experience, in learning analytics and the impact of technology on education.
The position will be for one year, renewable for a second (and possibly third) year, starting as soon as a suitable candidate becomes available.
The successful candidate will work with an interdisciplinary team of Boston University faculty, headed by Prof. Chris Dellarocas, Director of BU’s Digital Learning Initiative and Professor of Information Systems at BU’s School of Management, to extract actionable insights from large heterogeneous datasets (including those resulting from Boston University’s MOOCs) and conduct state-of-the-art experiments and research in the critical area of online education.
- Proficiency in quantitative analytical and econometric methods
- Hands-on experience with Data Mining and Machine Learning algorithms
- Strong programming skills (C/C++, Matlab, R, and Python preferred)
- Experience with managing and mining textual data
- Experience with both structured and unstructured data
Experience with the following is highly desirable:
- Design of field or laboratory experiments with human subjects
- Natural Language Processing and Opinion Mining techniques
- Experience in managing big data
- Networked data sets
- Visualization algorithms
To apply, please send cover letter and CV, including references, to Lauren Dupee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please refer any questions about the details and scope of the position (but do not send your application materials) directly to Prof. Chris Dellarocas (email@example.com)