At Boston University, we don’t believe it’s enough simply to offer some vegetarian and vegan options. We insist that they be plentiful, delicious, nutritious, and creative—and available throughout the day at every meal. You’ll find these options in all our residential dining rooms and retail locations, as well as our kosher dining facility. In fact, 80% of the items in our residence menu cycle are vegetarian-friendly, from vegan whole wheat pancakes to vegan pizzas. That’s why BU was recently ranked among the top 16 vegetarian-friendly schools in America on Peta2.com, PETA’s youth division website.
Here are some of the ways we make vegetarian and vegan dining easy and varied:
- Our services extend through 4 residential dining rooms, and over twenty retail outlets
- Every dining room menu is posted on the dining website and all vegetarian and vegan items are listed as such. These menu items include a full ingredient list as well as nutritional information.
- Every residence hall has a vegan entree option at every meal.
- Nutritional yeast is available in all residential locations.
- Both The Fresh Food Company at Marciano Commons and West Campus locations offer a dedicated vegan station that serves only vegan friendly meals.
- 85 % of the menu items in our menu cycle are vegan friendly. There are vegan options available during all day parts and include items like vegan tofu scramble for breakfast and vegan pizzas for lunch and dinner.
- By using Smart Balance instead of butter and using vegan stocks our daily menu options are vegan friendly including all rice dishes and all vegetable dishes.
- All non-meat and non-dairy soups are made with vegan stocks.
- At every deli station you will find vegan cheese, vegan breads, vegetarian friendly egg salad, vegan friendly roasted vegetables, bean spreads and hummus.
- Upon request grill items include vegan burgers and vegan hotdogs.
- The Fresh Food Company at West and Warren Towers both offer “Vegan” ice cream that does not contain lactose but does contain Sodium Caseinate, a milk derivative, and we are working with the manufacturer to develop a true vegan product.
- Vegan cream cheese is available for bagels.
- There are extensive salad bars at every dining hall on campus which contain many vegan friendly items including proteins such as tofu and several varieties of beans.
- Our chefs are currently working on expanding our vegan dessert options.
Our vegan friendly cooking style is also employed in our retail dining facilities. At our main student union building, home of the Union Court, we have 13 retail outlets.
- We offer made-to-order sandwiches and salads with hundreds of combinations that are all vegan friendly.
- One-third of our salad dressing offerings are vegan.
- All of our non-meat and non-dairy soups are vegetarian with about half of those also vegan.
- At our Cranberry Farms concept, which serves classic comfort foods, olive oil is used in vegetables, rice and roasted potatoes.
- Vegan cream cheese, hummus and roasted vegetables are all available at our dining/bagel shop.
Vegan highlights from the residential menu cycle:
Fresh Vegetable Biryani, Falafel Burger on Whole Wheat Pita, Vegan Mushroom Quesadilla, Thai Curry Noodles with Tofu, Eggplant Napolean, Fruit of the Vine Sauté, Picadillo, Vegan Sloppy Joes, Channa Masala, Spicy Couscous with Chickpeas and Tomato Chutney, Tofu Noodle Bowl, Smoked Vegetable Chili bowl, Tamale Corn Bread Pie, Moroccan Stew, Vegan Nuggets, Sweet & Sour Tofu, Curried Potato Onion and Chickpea with Saffron Basmati Rice, White bean and eggplant casserole, Black Bean Enchiladas, Sweet Thai Tofu Stir Fry, Vegan Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Brown Rice, Stuffed Acorn Squash, Tuscan Lentil Stew, Vegan Broccoli Lasagna, Rosemary Polenta with Broccoli Rabe and Portobello, Chinese Firecracker Tofu, Grilled Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tortilla, Lentil Oat Burger, Wild Mushroom and Barley Ragout, Vegan Moussaka, Creole Spinach & Tomaoto Casserole