Recycling and Compost
- We partner with Save That Stuff to recycle cardboard, paper, plastic, aluminum, fryer oil and food waste.
- Dining Services recycled a grand total of 988 tons of waste during 2012!
- 178 tons of cardboard
- 836 tons of food waste and organic materials
- 135 tons of comingle (glass, plastic, and aluminum)
- 4,800 gallons of fryer oil
- Small electronics, batteries, printer cartridges, office paper
- Almost all disposable products used across campus are compostable, made out of materials such as corn, potatoes, and recycled milk cartons.
- We have implemented post-consumer composting at all residential dining halls, the GSU, Buick St. Market, Breadwinners and Starbucks at SMG, School of Law Cafe, BU Pub, Hillel, Rize and all Late Nite Café locations across campus.
- Coffee grinds are composted at all Starbucks locations, the GSU, Dunkin’ Donuts and residential dining halls.
- Zero Waste events are implemented at all staffed events on campus. Click here to learn more about our Zero Waste events and pickup option through Catering on the Charles and Charlie to Go.
- In 2011 at the GSU, the percentage of waste diverted from the landfill was 73%. This is the result of post-consumer composting, recycling and compostable to-go containers used at the Union Food Court.
- Dining Services offers a $0.25 discount on all hot beverages served on campus when using your reusable mug.
- Reusable to go containers are available at the GSU Union Food Court as an alternative to disposable to-go containers. A $0.25 discount is given off your meal each time you use the container.
- Managers and hourly employees at all retail locations on campus participate in our reusable employee mug program, eliminating the use of disposable cups.
- Food waste audits are performed yearly to measure and reduce food prep waste as well as post-consumer food waste.
- Reusable totes are used for delivery of food by our suppliers, replacing cardboard boxes when possible.
If you would like to dispose of your compostables on campus, please bring them to one of the locations on the map below. Our employees will be happy to dispose of it for you. We accept all food waste and compostable materials including napkins, paper towels, and compostable tableware.