BUDS is passionate about sustainability. We extend our commitment to the community by sharing these values on a daily basis through education, outreach, and special events.
- BU Farmers Market invites local farmers and producers to campus and connects them with the University community
- BU Dining Services partners with the Community Service Center’s Student Food Rescue to donate leftovers to local shelters and food banks
- BU Dining Services donates $0.10 of every single serve milk sold on campus to New England dairy farmers through Keep Local Farms
- Each semester the Green Team helps students sort their waste between compost, recycling and landfill at the George Sherman Union Food Court.
- Special events are held throughout the year to promote sustainability- Make a Difference Monday, Earth Week, Sustainability Day, and more!
- In an effort to connect our community to their food sources, we sponsor field trips to local farms, producers and other fun and educational sites in the Boston area. Check out photos from our trips below!
- Spring 2011: Save that Stuff trip to learn about where our recycling goes after it leaves campus and Smith’s Country Cheese, to see a working dairy farm and cheesemaker in action.
- Fall 2011: We visited a cranberry bog in Plymouth County and went apple picking
- Spring 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015: We visited Mass Audubon’s Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary for the February Flapjack Fling. We had a delicious pancake breakfast, serenaded by a violinist and fiddle and then went on a tour of the maple sugaring process.
- Fall 2012, 2013, 2014: We visited another amazing cranberry bog in Plymouth County, AD Makepeace and went apple picking
- Want to see more? Visit our Video page with some cool videos of our adventures and more pics!
- If you have any ideas or suggestions for field trips, please email David Frank, firstname.lastname@example.org.