White Coat Ceremony Details
White Coat Ceremony & Reception
- Students should arrive to Metcalf Hall at 3:15pm for line up.
- Metcalf Hall is located on the 2nd floor of the George Sherman Union, BU Charles River Campus, 775 Commonwealth Avenue.
- What to bring with you:
- Your white coat, clean and pressed and camera ready
- Your GSDM pin (on the left lapel)
- Lost your pin? You can purchase a replacement from Student Affairs for $5.
- Please leave all bags and purses with your family. You should only have your white coat with you in the line-up room.
- Upon arrival at Metcalf Hall, please proceed to the registration table to check in and receive your marching order card.
- Students will go to the small ballroom to the far left to line-up
- Families and guests will proceed into Metcalf Hall to be seated.
What do I wear?
- You should dress in business professional attire.
- Gentlemen – please do not wear suit coats, blazers, or jackets, as it is hard to put the white coat on over them.
- Ladies – There are some stairs you must walk up to reach the stage then down off the stage, so please keep that in mind when choosing shoes to wear.
The Coating Ceremony
- For coating portion of the ceremony, you will be called up 3 at a time.
- Your white coat should be unbuttoned and folded in half over your right arm.
- When you come on the stage, hand the coat to your coater and turn to face the audience.
- Coater will help you with the coat.
- After all 3 students are coated, the photographer will take your photo.
- Proceed to your right, down off the stage, oppose of the way you came and return to your seat.
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, you will follow the marshals back down the center aisle to the small ballroom for class photos.
- DMD will go first, followed by AS.
- After the class photo, you will meet your family in the Ziskind Lounge for the reception.
Wheelchair Accessible Seating
If one of your guests requires handicapped or wheelchair accessible seating, please contact Lindsay McHugh, firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting to Metcalf Hall
Metcalf Hall is located at 775 Commonwealth Ave, in the George Sherman Union, on Boston University Charles River Campus.
Using public transportation is strongly recommended. Take the B Line (Green line train) outbound to Boston College and get off at the BU Central stop.
Parking for guests is available in the CAS Lot (240 Bay State Road) for $10 per car.