White Coat Ceremony Details
White Coat Ceremony & Reception
- LINE–UP – 3:15pm sharp!
- Student Line-up is in the small ballroom next to Metcalf Hall.
- Metcalf Hall is located on the 2nd floor of the George Sherman Union, BU Charles River Campus, 775 Commonwealth Avenue.
- BRING WITH YOU:
- Your white coat, clean and pressed and camera ready.
- Your GSDM pin (on the left lapel).
- DO NOT BRING:
- NO bags or purses. If you must bring a bag, please leave it with your family for the ceremony.
- UPON ARRIVAL:
- Go to the Registration table and check in.
- Receive your marching order card from the staff.
- Go to the small ballroom (to your far left) for line up.
- Families and guests will go into the hall and be seated.
WHAT TO WEAR:
- Gentlemen – business professional attire (shirt & tie); NO suit coats, blazers, or jackets (it is hard to put the white coat on over them).
- Ladies – nice dress, skirt or pants. Please note that there are some stairs you must walk up to reach the stage, take note when selecting what shoes to wear.
- For the coating portion of the ceremony, you will be called up 4 at a time.
- Your white coat should be unbuttoned and folded in half over your right arm.
- When you come on the stage, hand the coat to your coater and turn to face the audience.
- The coater will help you with the coat.
- After all 4 students are coated, the photographer will take your photo.
- Proceed to your right, down off the stage, opposite of the way you came and return to your seat.
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, you will follow the marshals back down the center aisle to the small ballroom for class photos.
- DMD will go first, followed by AS.
- After the class photo, you will meet your family in the Ziskind Lounge for the reception.
Requests for accessible parking, seating and individual services (such as Deaf/Hard of Hearing Services) may be requested. Please email Amanda Warren, Assistant Director of Meetings & Events.
Getting to Metcalf Hall
Using public transportation is strongly recommended. Take the B Line (Green line train) outbound to Boston College and get off at the BU Central stop. Metcalf Hall is located at 775 Commonwealth Avenue, in the George Sherman Union, on Boston University Charles River Campus.
Parking for guests is available in the CAS Lot (240 Bay State Road). (payment required)