Director: Dr. Richard D’Innocenzo
The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (GSDM) and Boston Medical Center (BMC) offers a two-week or more externship opportunity for third and fourth year dental students who are considering a career in oral & maxillofacial surgery and would like additional exposure to the specialty. Applicants must be enrolled in an ADA-accredited US or Canadian dental school at the time of the externship.
BMC is New England’s busiest Level-I Trauma Center, and is located in Boston. The extern will gain exposure to the full scope of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery including orthognathic, TMJ, trauma, cosmetic and cancer surgery. He/she will have the opportunity to work in our outpatient clinics, perform ER procedures under supervision, attend operating room cases, and participate in all didactic lectures and conferences, besides the opportunity to take in-house calls with the on-call team. The extern may also have the opportunity to rotate through our other off-site affiliate institutions. On-campus housing in the on-call rooms is is based on a prior request and on availability of room. Access is provide once hospital ID badge is obtain on your first day. There is no on call room during the months of July and August.
For the externship program, please forward the following documentation as one package to:
100 East Newton Street, G-407
Boston, MA 02118
Externship application deadline is 4 week prior to your start date.
- Letter of intent stating your interest in the externship program at BU/BMC
- Copy of dental school transcript
- The dates of when you would like to participate in the externship
- Dean’s letter stating that you are in good standing and able to attend the externship
- Copy of malpractice insurance stating appropriate coverage during externship
- Copy of your medical insurance card
- Board scores (unofficial copy)
- Provide documentation of vaccination or proof of immunity for Mumps, Rubella, Measles, and Varicella.
- 2 MMR vaccine dates or titer results
- 2 Varicella vaccine dates or positive titer results or receipt from a health care provider of diagnosis or verification of history of chicken pox or herpes zoster (shingles).
- Receive a flu vaccination. Flu vaccinations are only required during flu season. OEM will determine and announce the dates of the influenza vaccination program. Personnel who sign a flu declination must wear a mask on campus during flu season (usually October-March).
- Provide proof of adequate tuberculosis screening done within 3 months prior to start. If Visiting Personnel is at BMC longer than 3 months, a second TB screen will be required. A badge may be issued once the first step is completed.
- Tuberculosis skin test (TST) results must include date given and read and the millimeter (mm) of induration. The form should be signed by the health professional reading the test with printed name, title, and contact number on his or her letterhead.
- For those with prior positive TB skin tests, please provide documentation of the positive TB test date with size (mm) of skin reaction/induration, a copy of a normal chest X-Ray report obtained after the diagnosis of positive TB skin test, and documentation of your receiving TB medication counseling.
Any questions, please contact Melissa Biondo at 617-638-4809 or via email at email@example.com