Faculty & Staff Meeting Highlights Accomplishments, Path Forward
The packed agenda of the February 18, 2014, meeting of Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (GSDM) faculty and staff at the 670 Albany Street Auditorium reflects the School’s numerous efforts to sustain excellence and to promote growth on various fronts.
Dean Jeffrey W. Hutter opened the meeting with a tradition: He invited each new member of the faculty and staff to introduce themselves and warmly welcomed all of them to the GSDM family.
Dean Hutter then presented the Boston University Henry M. Goldman Award for Distinguished Service to Ms. Edlira “Eda” Kerthi, who has served the School for 12 ½ years, most recently as Post-doctoral Clinic Coordinator in the Department of Endodontics. To Eda’s surprise, her husband Ed and daughter Fiona were present to join their wife and mother on the stage.
Dean Hutter said, “In a number of truly outstanding nominations submitted on Eda’s behalf, she was described as dedicated, positive, committed, helpful, and hard working.” He continued, “Eda truly embodies the ideal of excellence that is fundamental to our Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine and she is most deserving of the Boston University Henry M. Goldman Award for Distinguished Service.”
The following presentations were then delivered, representing various facets of progress at GSDM:
- an update on the GSDM Faculty Forum by Dr. Bradford Towne, Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery and present Faculty Forum representative on the GSDM Executive Committee;
- a summary of recent and future activities of the GSDM Staff Forum by Kimberley Whitaker, Supply Store Assistant and Staff Forum representative on the GSDM Executive Committee;
- a presentation on the status of admissions for the 2014–2015 academic year by Assistant Dean of Admissions Catherine Sarkis;
- a summary of the School’s Academic Program Review by Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Dr. Cataldo Leone;
- a brief update on the Implementation of the School’s Applied Strategic Plan by Dr. Margaret Errante, Assistant Dean for Business Development, and Mr. Gurjinder Gill, Project Manager for the Applied Strategic Plan;
- an outline of progress in the implementation of the Group Practice model by Group Practice Leader Dr. Steve Roberts, who filled in for Director of the Group Practice Experience & Team Leadership Dr. David Russell;
- the status of the GSDM Fundraising Campaign by Assistant Dean for Development & Alumni Relations Kevin Holland;
- an inventory of BUMC facilities projects by John Barton, Executive Director of Facilities for the Medical Campus;
- an overview of planned facility projects on the Medical Campus and GSDM by Executive Director of Finance & Operations Mr. Tim McDonough and Director of Facilities & Operations Andy Burke; and
- an update on progress toward a new GSDM facility by Dean Hutter.
In closing, Dean Hutter said, “Our vision will continue to take a great deal of hard work and dedication from all our faculty, staff, and students, and I need for each of you to join me in expecting and planning for the very best for our School.” He continued, “We must not settle for anything less than excellence in all of our programs as we Choose to Be Great.