On Thursday, August 9, 2012, the Applied Strategic Plan Implementation Team met to continue the work begun in May 2012, at the semiannual meeting of the Applied Strategic Planning Committee Thirty-five representatives of the Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (GSDM) faculty, staff, students, residents, and administration participated in the daylong session.
After Dean Jeffrey Hutter welcomed the participants and shared with them the importance of the work they would be doing, Applied Strategic Plan Implementation Team Leader and Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives Dr. Paula K. Friedman also welcomed the attendees. Participants were assigned to one of three working groups: Finance and Research; Clinic Operations; and Organizational Environment. She challenged the attendees to engage in active discussions throughout the day and for each group to create a work-product of new and/or revised Integrated Action Plans (IAPs) and Objectives to transition the Applied Strategic Planning process to Phase II.
Evaluation of the Quarterly Meeting was conducted online using SurveyMonkey. Results were anonymous. When participants were asked to indicate what they liked most about the conference, comments included the following:
- Feeling as if progress is being made
- Small group sessions and encouragement to speak honestly
- I like the fact that we got to discuss the future of the school and that every stakeholder had a great deal of ideas that would help the school and find solutions.
- Clear focus on issues
- Diverging conversations that led to converging conversations
- At the end of the day, we had concrete suggestions
The working groups were organized as follows:
- Finance and Research: Tim McDonough, John Reilly, Erica Abruzzese, Gurjinder Gill, Barbara Pyke, Dr. Maria Kukuruzinska, Dr. Philip Trackman, and Dr. Laisheng Chou; recorder: Kathy Bagley
- Clinic Operations: Dr. Margaret Errante, Dr. Celeste Kong, Kelly Marcinkewich, Sheila Scully, Dr. Neal Fleisher, Lori Brady, Stacey Soldan, Dr. Steve Morgano, Dr. John Guarente, Dr. Carl McManama, Shervin Tabeshfar; recorder: Jessica Pollack
- Organizational Environment: Diana D’Aoust, Dr. Aldo Leone, Dr. Joseph Calabrese, Dr. Judy Jones, Dr. Paula K. Friedman, Dr. Steve Roberts, Dr. Tom Kilgore, Markendy Pierre, Marta Diaz, Mary Becotte, Patrice Freeman-Lau, Richard Rabbett; recorder: Diane Dougherty
The outcomes of group deliberations will be presented to the entire Applied Strategic Planning Committee (ASPC) at the annual ASPC meeting on November 28 and 29, 2012.