Ellen Yadon Retirement Celebration

August 6, 2012

yadon-retire-200On the afternoon of Friday, July 27, 2012, a retirement party was held in honor of Ellen Yadon. Yadon, an administrative assistant in the Office of the Dean, retired on July 31, 2012 after working at Boston University for 34 years. Faculty, staff, friends and even some retired staff members came out to celebrate Yadon’s career at GSDM and her many contributions.

Yadon began her Boston University career in the summer of 1978 as a senior secretary in the Department of Cardiovascular Epidemiology at the Boston University School of Medicine. In this role, and later as administrative secretary, she provided administrative support to several department chairs as well as principal investigators working on the renowned Framingham Heart Study. In 1989, Ellen joined the Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine as an administrative secretary in the Office of the Dean. In 1990, she was promoted into her now more familiar role of administrative assistant.

During her tenure at GSDM, Yadon became a “Terrier Triple Threat” – earning three Boston University degrees through the Tuition Remission program, including a BS in Business Administration in 1993; a BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Art History in 1994 (for which she achieved summa cum laude); and most recently, in 1998, an MS in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Nonprofit Management.

Dean Jeffrey W. Hutter spoke fondly of Yadon at the celebration. He said, “Ellen, I know I speak for all of our faculty, staff, students and alumni in wishing you the very best of health and happiness in retirement and sincerely hope that you will stay in touch and provide us with the privilege of a visit if you find yourself in the Boston area. A tradition that is carried over from my career in the United States Navy and is a part of every Navy Retirement Ceremony, is to wish you ‘Fair Skies and Following Winds’ as you launch this new phase of your life.”

Dean Hutter presented Yadon with flowers to show his appreciation for her dedication over the years. Patrice Freeman Lau presented Yadon with a Pandora charm bracelet from the Office of the Dean, with some thoughtful charms included to start her collection. Mrs. Kathy Hutter presented Yadon with some additional charms for her new bracelet.

Assistant Dean of Students Dr. Joseph Calabrese presented Ellen with a Boston University tote bag, hat, and a GSDM athletic zip-up jacket, complete with Yadon’s name embroidered on the arm.

Everyone enjoyed some cake and Yadon thanked everyone for attending and for making her GSDM years happy ones, saying, “It has been a pleasure working with all of you. I wish I could take you all with me. I will certainly stop by to say hello when I find myself in Boston and please do come to visit if you are ever near Manchester, NH.”

Photos from Ellen’s retirement party are available on facebook and flickr.

Archives

Categories