Community Advisory Board
Greater Boston Head & Neck Cancer Community Advisory Board
The mission of the Head and Neck Cancer Community Advisory Board is to promote the engagement of patients and caregivers with researchers and healthcare providers in order to accelerate the development of new therapies and techniques for patient care.
Three core principles will guide the Board’s activities:
- Engagement: soliciting and respecting patient perspectives while keeping the community fully informed of the research process;
- Relevance: identifying the real-life unmet medical needs of patients; and
- Practicality: maximizing study enrollment and learning by communicating study goals to patients and minimizing study burdens on patients.
Role of the Board
The Head and Neck Cancer Community Advisory Board will advise on the following:
- Projects under consideration for funding/development (e.g. review of lay abstracts, review of patient recruitment plans).
- Development of research tools for interfacing with patients (e.g. electronic consent forms, questionnaires, interviews etc.).
- Dissemination of research findings to lay persons with the goals of transparency and disclosure (study participants, patients, general public).
- Involvement of patients and caregivers in research initiatives.
Through these activities, the Head and Neck Cancer Community Advisory Board will partner with researchers and healthcare providers to boost the relevance, speed and quality of research. And such research will lead to better patient outcomes and experiences.