Research Resources Evaluation and Continuous Improvement
To ensure successful implementation of research resource and services, we implement a performance monitoring and evaluation plan. The plan tracks and assesses processes, outputs,k and outcomes to support continuous program improvement and demonstration of impact and cost-effective utilization. Our evaluation engages the perspectives of faculty researchers and trainees regarding: (1) researcher satisfaction with the quality and effectiveness of research resources and services, (2) utilization and cost of resources and services, and (3) research needs and emerging opportunities. The objectives of the evaluation plan are to:
- Use well-defined metrics to measure success in the satisfaction with and utilization of our resources and services.
- Conduct research needs assessments to ensure resources and services are well-aligned with researcher needs.
- Apply activity-based costing to monitor costs associated with the delivery of resources and services and return on investment.
- Implement formative and summative evaluation activities using mixed methods, which emphasize participatory approaches that actively involve audiences and stakeholder groups in the development of evaluation processes and interpretation of real-time data to guide operational and strategic management of resources and services.
- Implement utilization-focused evaluation methods that integrate the ongoing use of evaluation findings into the CTSI governance structure for monitoring strategies and ensuring effective continuous improvement.
- Actively engage in national CTSA network evaluation activities to advance strong evaluation practices and the Common Metrics Initiative led by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences.