As you think about your course, here are some strategies other faculty have used and found effective. If you would like to discuss any of these teaching practices, please sign up for an individual or group consultation. We are also available by phone (617-358-0017) and email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that this new resource is currently being developed and new guides will be made available on a rolling basis. Please do not hesitate to contact the CTL, should you wish to discuss any of the below topics.
Principles & Frameworks
- CTL Recommended Reading List (Getting Started Suggestions)
- 3 Things Students Wish Colleges Knew About How They Learn
- Integrated Course Design
- BU Learning Experience (Syllabus) Templates
- Active Learning
- Blended Learning
- Case-Based Learning
- Discussion-Based Teaching & Learning
- Experiential Learning
- The Flipped Classroom
- Myths & Facts About Flipped Learning
- Interactive Lecturing
- Project-Based Learning
- Using Slides in the Classroom
Assessing & Reflecting
Opportunities & Challenges
- Active Learning Instruction for STEM Classes
- Arts-Based Learning
- Boston-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- STEM Education Resources (General)
- Student-Centered Learning & Student Resistance (Inside Higher Ed)
Specific Contexts & Populations
- Boston University Facts & Stats
- Profile of BU Admitted Students
- Today’s College Students Aren’t Who You Think They Are (An NPR Article)
- The 21st Century Academic (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- How to teach a good first day of class (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
BU Hub Area Guides
As you think about your BU Hub course, here are some area-specific resources other faculty have used and found effective. If you would like to discuss any of these teaching practices, please see our schedule of BU Hub information sessions, workshops, and institutes, or sign up for an individual/group consultation. We are also available by phone (617-358-0017) and email (email@example.com).
Also, the General Education Committee has produced a number of Guidelines & Interpretive Documents.
Journals on Teaching & Learning
The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning at Kennesaw State University provides an extensive (and up-to-date) list of disciplinary and interdisciplinary journals in the scholarship of teaching and Learning (SoTL) focused on undergraduate and graduate education for teachers at colleges and universities, organized alphabetically. On their site, you can also click on a category name or use the drop-down menus on the right to view journals by Discipline or by Topic in Higher Education.