Educational Innovation Conference
Presented by the Center for Teaching & Learning at Boston University
Boston University’s Ninth Annual Educational Innovation Conference brings together faculty, staff, graduate students, and post-docs from across BU and beyond to showcase excellence in teaching and learning and to explore collaborative visions of our future.
Note: Schedule subject to change
Date: Friday, May 3, 2019
Time: 9:00 AM – 1:30 PM
Location: Metcalf Trustee Center Ballroom & Lounge – One Silber Way, 9th Floor
Kenmore Room – One Silber Way, Room 916
FACULTY SPOTLIGHT SPEAKERS (9:45 – 11:00am, Metcalf Ballroom)
Panelists will share personal examples of innovative teaching from across the disciplines, including assignments, educational strategies, and new and emerging technology.
- Chris Walsh, Director, CAS Writing Program: “Hearts and Minds on Fire: How Role-Immersion Games Can Improve Student Learning and Make You Love Teaching Again”
- Jeannette Guillemin, Director, Arts Leadership and Innovation (CFA) and Wendy Swart Grossman, Adjunct Faculty, MET/Graduate Arts Administration Program, (CFA/Arts Leadership and Innovation): “In Real Life: Creativity Meets Action”
- Benjamin Wolozin, M.D., PhD, Professor, Pharmacology and Neurology (MED): “Using WikiEdu in a Graduate Pharmacology Course”
- Luluah Mustafa, Senior Arabic Lecturer/Head of the Arabic Program, World Languages and Literatures (CAS): “Turning Students’ Work into Teaching Materials”
CONCURRENT FACULTY PANELS (11:15am – 12:15pm, Metcalf Ballroom and Kenmore Room)
Teaching Inclusively (Metcalf Ballroom): Panelists will discuss the importance of teaching inclusively and fostering diversity in the classroom, hear from interdisciplinary faculty colleagues as they share personal examples of designing and teaching inclusive assignments and revising curricula, and learn about additional resources available for further guidance. This is an opportunity for faculty to share with one another inclusive practices and pedagogy that may be old or new.
- Laura M. Jiménez, PhD, Lecturer, Department of Language and Literacy (Wheelock), Chair: Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee
- Rady Roldán-Figueroa, Associate Professor of the History of Christianity and Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (School of Theology)
- Swati Kshama Rani, PhD, Lecturer, Department of Teaching & Learning (Wheelock)
- Debra Borkovitz, Clinical Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics (CAS)
Collaborative Learning (Kenmore Room): Panelists will discuss the importance of cultivating collaborative learning in the classroom, hear from interdisciplinary colleagues as they share personal examples of designing and teaching collaborative projects, and learn about additional resources available for further guidance. This is an opportunity for faculty to share with one another practices and pedagogy that may be old or new.
- Viktoria Hackbarth, Lecturer in Spanish, Department of Romance Studies (CAS)
- Jennifer Mandolese, Lecturer, Department of Organizational Behavior (Questrom)
- Sandra Deacon Carr, PhD, Master Lecturer, Department of Organizational Behavior (Questrom), Faculty Director, Questrom Team Learning Services
- Kitt Shaffer, Vice Chair for Education in Radiology at Boston Medical Center, Professor of Radiology at BUMC (MED)
NETWORKING LUNCH (12:15 – 1:15pm, Metcalf Ballroom)
Over lunch, participants will have the opportunity to discuss specific teaching and learning strategies, opportunities, and challenges with faculty and staff from across the University. Topics include:
- Collaborative Learning
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Teaching with Technology and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Scholarship of Teaching & Learning
- Teaching in the STEM Fields and Medical Education
- Digital Learning
- Teaching in the BU Hub
CLOSING REMARKS & RAFFLE DRAWING (1:15 – 1:30pm, Metcalf Ballroom)
Prizes include an iPad, books, a CTL swag bag, a Bose bluetooth speaker!