FYSOP Staff Leader
FYSOP STAFF LEADER POSITION DESCRIPTION
We are currently building our team of FYSOP Staff Leaders to help us make FYSOP 26 a transformative, meaningful experience for first-year students. FYSOP Staff Leaders are integral to the success of FYSOP as they help welcome first-years by serving as peer leaders through education, service, and group reflections. Applications are due by Monday, March 23rd by 4:00pm EST. Apply here!
Staff Leaders are accountable for:
- Attending all training and program days starting Tuesday, August 18th through Saturday, August 29th.
- Participating in two (2) out of four (4) online education and training sessions throughout the summer with FYSOP Coordinators.
- Being present for all programs during staff training and the week of FYSOP 26, including opening ceremonies, education day, program night, social events, closing ceremonies and site visits.
- Serving as role models who are expected to identify and address any problems/conflicts that may arise, with safety as the primary concern, and to keep the CSC professional staff, Program Managers, and Program Coordinators informed of any such situations.
- Working, learning, and collaborating with other Staff Leaders in one of eleven focus areas. Staff Leaders will be assigned to focus areas upon hiring. If hired, your position as a Staff Leader is guaranteed, but your focus area placement is subject to change.
- Working with two or three other Staff Leaders as a team in leading twelve to fifteen first-year volunteers.
- Leading thoughtful and meaningful reflections about experiences during FYSOP 26.
- Honoring all commitments to the FYSOP program. We have high expectations for Staff Leaders to abide by the Boston University rules and regulations regarding alcohol and illegal drugs. All FYSOP Staff Leaders will refrain from using alcohol and illegal drugs from Tuesday, August 18th through Saturday, August 29th regardless of age. FYSOP has a zero tolerance policy. Any violation of this rule will result in immediate dismissal from the program.Furthermore, official hirings will be contingent upon good academic status and approval from Judicial Affairs.
- Signing a zero tolerance contract, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) form, the Massachusetts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) forms, and a waiver of liability before participation as a FYSOP Staff Leader.
Applicants who are Resident Assistants, working for Summer Orientation, or playing in the Boston University Marching Band are ineligible for FYSOP Staff Leader due to schedule conflicts. Student athletes should confirm with time commitments with their coach before applying.
COMPENSATION AND HOUSING
There is no participation fee or monetary compensation for Staff Leaders. On-campus housing will be provided during training, and early move-in to University fall residences will occur on Monday, August 24th after 4pm. Housing will not be provided during the week of FYSOP. You will be expected to move into your fall housing assignments. If you are living off-campus, you will be expected to find your own housing during the week of FYSOP. Meals will be provided during the weeks of Staff Training and FYSOP.Some dates may be such to changes. Please visit bu.edu/csc for the latest updates throughout the summer.
Strong candidates will excel in the following areas:
- Collaborating as a member of and leading a team
- Communication, observation, and reflection
- Problem solving, troubleshooting, and crisis management
- Self-care and reflection
- Passion for the community development mission and goals of the CSC and FYSOP
We are seeking thoughtful, engaged, and passionate students with diverse interests and identities from across all schools/colleges, majors, interests, and community involvements to apply for the FYSOP Staff Leader position. Whether or not you have been involved with FYSOP or other Community Service Center programs in the past, we strongly encourage you to apply. Prior involvement in the CSC is not a prerequisite for FYSOP Staff Leader.