In a recent BU Educational Technology article, Professor Abbas Attarwala describes how...
Directions and Contact Information
The Computer Science Department is located on the Charles River Campus of Boston University at 111 Cummington Mall in the Math & Computer Science building (MCS).
The departmental office (room MCS 138), the seminar rooms, and some faculty offices are located on the first floor. Most faculty offices and research laboratories are located on the second floor.
If you have a choice, we strongly recommend riding public transportation over driving!
- If you are riding the “T” (Boston’s subway system, the MBTA), get off at the BU East stop on the Green “B” Line right in front of Warren Towers. If you are taking a cab, ask for 700 Commonwealth Avenue, the official address for Warren Towers.
- For those driving to the department, there is metered street parking on both sides of Commonwealth Avenue and Bay State Road, as well as on other streets around campus, but it is quite competitive! On-campus visitor parking is available; the closest is at the Granby lot at 665 Commonwealth Ave. If you are driving to the department for official business, let us know and we will be happy to arrange for a parking pass to be waiting for you at the adjacent Warren Towers garage (entrance on Hinsdale Mall).
Detailed instructions on how to get to the Boston University Charles River Campus are included below. For further help, contact the Department of Computer Science’s office at 617-353-8919.
Directions to the University:
By Car from the North Shore/Logan Airport:
Take Route 1-A through the Sumner Tunnel (toll road). Follow signs onto the Expressway North. Take the Back Bay/Storrow Drive exit (Exit 26), and follow signs onto Storrow Drive. Continue on Storrow Drive to the Kenmore exit. Follow Local Directions below.
By Car from South or West:
Take the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) East (toll road) to Exit 18, Allston/Cambridge. Exit left. Follow signs to Cambridge to the second set of lights. Turn right at the lights (just before crossing the river—if you cross the river, you have gone too far!) This is Soldiers Field Road/Storrow Drive. Exit Storrow Drive at the Kenmore exit. Follow Local Directions below.
By Car from Southeast:
Take I-93/Route 3 (Southeast Expressway) North to Boston. Exit onto Storrow Drive (Exit 26). Continue on Storrow Drive (west) to the Kenmore exit. Follow Local Directions below.
By Car from North:
Take I-93 or Route 1 South (toll road) to Boston. Exit onto Storrow Drive (Exit 26). Continue on Storrow Drive to the Kenmore exit. Follow Local Directions below.
Local Directions from the Kenmore Square/Commonwealth Avenue exit of Storrow Drive:
At the first set of traffic lights, turn right onto Beacon Street. At this point, the road forks; the right fork is Bay State Road. The left fork will take you into Kenmore Square. Take this left fork onto Beacon Street into Kenmore Square. At the square, bear right onto Commonwealth Avenue (you will be heading west). Travel on Commonwealth Avenue in the left lane until a “Left Turn Only” lane appears at the fifth set of lights (Marsh Plaza will be on your right). Make a U-turn to reverse direction east on Commonwealth Avenue. Travel two blocks and turn right onto Hinsdale Street (the first street after Warren Towers). The Warren Towers parking garage is on the right. Additional parking is located on Commonwealth Avenue and Bay State Road.
By Public Transportation, MBTA (the “T”):
Boston University is easily accessible by public transportation. The “B” (Boston College) branch of the MBTA (aka the “T”) Green Line passes through the campus along Commonwealth Avenue. The closest T stop to the MCS building is the “Boston University East” stop. If you are coming from another line, you will need to travel to Government Center, Park Street, or Kenmore Square stations to access the B branch of the Green Line. From any of those stations, take a “B” train on the Green Line Outbound to Boston College. When you arrive, follow the detailed map mentioned above to find the MCS building. A subway map showing the main lines and stops is available here.
Directions to the “B” line are as follows:
- By Red Line:
Take the Inbound Red Line train to Park Street Station; transfer to the Outbound, Green Line “B” (Boston College) Train.
By Blue Line (including Logan Airport):
Take the Inbound Blue Line Train to Government Center; transfer to the Outbound Green Line “B” (Boston College) Train.
By Orange Line:
Take the Orange Line Train to Downtown Crossing; follow the underground concourse to the Green Line Park Street Station, then board the Outbound, Green Line “B” (Boston College) Train.
By Green Line:
- From Lechmere, Science Park, North Station, or Haymarket—Take any train Inbound to Government Center; transfer to the outbound Green Line “B” (Boston College) Train.
- From the Suburban “C” (Cleveland Circle) or “D” (Riverside) Lines—Take any train Inbound to Kenmore Square; change to the Green Line Outbound platform and board the “B” (Boston College) Train.
- From the “E” (Heath Street) Line—Take any train Inbound to Arlington Station; change to the Green Line Outbound platform and board the “B” (Boston College) Train.