How to Apply
The Boston University Creative Writing Program accepts applications for admission for the fall semester in any given calendar year. Our next deadline, for Fall 2016 admission, is February 15, 2016. We do not, barring exceptional circumstances, consider late or mid-year applications. We do our best to respond to all applicants by the end of March or beginning of April.
The application for the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing will include the following:
- A writing sample (for poetry, submit 10 poems; for fiction, submit no more than 40 double-spaced pages, stories are preferred)
- A personal statement, roughly 2-4 pages in length
- Three letters of recommendation. Recommenders can upload letters online or send hard copies of their letters.
- Transcripts from any college or university you have previously attended (even if no degree was earned)
- Optional: examination scores from the GRE General Test. We no longer require you to take the GRE in order to be accepted into our program. If you have already taken the test, please do send your scores. Our GRE code is 3087.
IMPORTANT: Please DO NOT send any materials to the Creative Writing office. In the past we have asked for additional hard copies to be sent to us, but this is no longer the case.
Important Information for Those Re-Applying to the MFA Program:
If you are re-applying for Boston University’s MFA in Creative Writing, you may no longer re-use application materials (transcripts, test-scores, letters of recommendation, etc.) from your previous attempt. You must apply online here.
For International Applicants:
You must supply additional paperwork, and in some cases, scores from the TOEFL exam. Please consult with the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Thank you, and best of luck with your application.