How to Apply
Important announcement: As of November 2013, the GRE General Test is now an optional, rather than required, part of your application for the MFA in Creative Writing at Boston University. Please let us know if you have any questions. We hope this will be good news for you.
The Boston University Creative Writing Program accepts applications for admission for the fall semester in any given calendar year. Our next deadline, for Fall 2015 admission, is March 1, 2015. We do not, barring exceptional circumstances, consider late or mid-year applications. We do our best to respond to all applicants by the end of March or beginning of April.
How to Apply: You must have a bachelor’s degree to apply to our program. The application fee is $80. Application instructions are available at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences website; go directly to the online application here. The Graduate School now strongly encourages you to apply online, though if you must apply via paper application, you may request special permission to do so by contacting Rebekah Alexander in Graduate Admissions.
Please note that the MFA in Playwriting is now separate from the Creative Writing Program in Fiction and Poetry. Playwriting is now a three-year program housed at the Boston Playwrights’ Theater, still a part of the BU English Department. For information on the program and its admissions, please visit the Playwriting MFA website.
The application for the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing will include the following:
- A writing sample (for poetry, submit 10 poems; for fiction, submit no more than 40 double-spaced pages, stories are preferred)
- A personal statement, roughly 2-4 pages in length
- Three letters of recommendation. Recommenders can upload letters online or send hard copies of their letters to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
- Transcripts from any college or university you have previously attended (even if no degree was earned).
- Optional: examination scores from the GRE General Test. We no longer require you to take the GRE in order to be accepted into our program. If you have already taken the test, please do send your scores. Our GRE code is 3087.
Please send anything that must be mailed, including your transcripts and optional GRE scores, to:
Graduate School of Arts & Sciences
705 Commonwealth Avenue, Suite 112
Boston, MA 02215
IMPORTANT: Please DO NOT send any materials to the Creative Writing office. They run the risk of not being considered.
Important Information for Those Re-Applying to the MFA Program:
If you are re-applying for Boston University’s MFA in Creative Writing, and wish to re-use application materials (transcripts, test-scores, letters of recommendation, etc.) from your previous attempt, you will need to contact the Office of Graduate Admissions directly (firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-353-2696) to request that said materials be attached to your current application.
For International Applicants:
You must supply additional paperwork, and in some cases, scores from the TOEFL exam. Please consult with the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Thank you, and best of luck with your application.