During the weekend of June 20:
- On Saturday, crews will continue with the removal of hazardous material from the phase 3 construction area on the fifth floor.
- On Sunday, night-shift work will continue, starting at 10 p.m. and continuing until 6 a.m. During this time, workers will continue with demolition and removal of existing equipment and piping from the basement mechanical room. Demolition of the electrical closets located in stairwells 1 and 2 of the main GSDM building will also continue during this shift.
- On Sunday, from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m., one of the building’s air-handling units will be shut down to allow crews to rework the ductwork in the shaft behind the wall in the third-floor elevator lobby. This work will require opening up the ceilings and walls in the lobby to get to the shaft. The ceilings and walls will be returned to their original condition and the air handler will be restarted at 6 a.m. on Monday morning.
During the week starting June 22:
- On Monday and Tuesday evenings, starting at 10 p.m. until 6 a.m., three of the building’s air-handling units will be shut down in order for contractors to create new ductwork connections on the third and fourth floors; this will enable these floors to be supplied from a new air-handling unit in the basement. Most of the work will occur within the bathroom construction work area. All three air-handling units will be brought back online in the morning of each day.
- Work on the decorative planters resumes this week at GSDM’s Albany Street entrance.
- Installation of the Boston Transportation Department traffic light at the corner of Albany and East Newton Streets will begin on Monday.
- Drilling of the stormwater recharge wells (the system that distributes surplus rainwater back to below ground to help maintain groundwater levels) along Albany Street will continue during the week and through early July.
- Inside the building, layout and framing of the existing bathrooms will resume on the fourth floor.
- During the dayshift, workers will continue to cut and remove old piping, ductwork, and wiring that have been replaced from within the existing basement mechanical room. Installation of plumbing piping in the third-floor bathrooms will also take place this week, continuing upward through the remaining four floors. Plumbing inspections of the first three floors will follow at the end of the week.
- On Wednesday June 24, GSDM will be participating in the Boston University-wide Day of Collective Engagement: Racism and Antiracism, Our Realities and Our Roles. While construction will continue, all University classes, meetings, and events for that day have been rescheduled.
- Please consult these additional resources as needed:
- GDSM COVID-19 information: http://www.bu.edu/dental/covid-19-information/. This webpage is a repository of all communications issued to the school community by the GSDM leadership. It also includes links to the Boston University and Boston University Medical Campus COVID-19 websites.
Please be sure to take notice of directional signage and markings within the building as you navigate in and around GSDM. Circulation is being revised due to construction and the need for proper social distancing as the school re-opens; these actions align with the COVID-19 guidelines issued by state regulatory agencies and Boston University.
We hope that you remain safe and healthy. As always, your safety is imperative!