Harrison (Hap) Farber, MD
Institution: Boston University School of Medicine
Academic Rank: Professor of Medicine
Medical school/Degree/Year: George Washington University School of Medicine/MD/1977
Mailing address: 72 East Concord Street, R-304, Boston, MA 02118
Summary of academic interest: My academic interest in pulmonary hypertension
CORT Project summary: My project will determine molecules of interest that may be important and/or predictive in the development of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) in patients with scleroderma. We will also attempt to find molecules that predict response to certain medications used to treat PAH.
Recent publications relevant to the CORT:
1. Farber HW. The status of pulmonary arterial hypertension in 2008. Circulation 2008; 117:2996-2998.
2. McLaughlin VV, Archer SL, Badesch DB, Barst RJ, Farber HW, Lindner JR, Mathier MA, McGoon MD, Park MH, Rosenson RS,. Rubin LJ, Tapson VF, Varga J. ACCF/AHA 2009 Expert Consensus Document on Pulmonary Hypertension. Circulation 2009; 119:2250-2294.
3. Oudiz RJ, Farber HW. Dosing considerations in the use of intravenous prostanoids in pulmonary arterial hypertension: An experience-based review. Am Heart J 2009; 157:625-635.
4. Summer R, Fiack, CA, Ikeda Y, Sato K, Dwyer D, Ouchi N, Fine A, Farber HW, Walsh K. Adiponectin deficiency: a model of pulmonary hypertension associated with pulmonary vascular disease. Am J Physiol 2009; 297:L432-L438.
5. Fiack, CA, Farber HW. Pulmonary hypertension associated with left ventricular diastolic dysfunction. J Heart Lung Transplant 2010; 29:230-231.
6. Badesch, DB, B, Raskob G, Elliott G, Krichman AM, Farber HW, Frost A, Barst RJ, Doyle R, Benza R, Liou TG, Turner M, Giles S, Feldkircher K, Miller DP, McGoon M. Pulmonary arterial hypertension: Current demographics, diagnosis and treatment patterns. Baseline characteristics from the REVEAL registry. Chest 2010; 137:376-387.
7. Hardy H, Backman ES, Farber HW. Successful bosentan and nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor–based therapy in a patient with Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome and pulmonary arterial hypertension. Pharmacotherapy 2010; 30:139e-144e.
8. Farber HW, Simms, RS, Lafyatis R. Care of the scleroderma patient in the critical care setting. J Intensive Care Med 2010; 25:247-258.
9. Walkey AJ, Alikhan MM, Ieong MH, Farber HW. Cardiopulmonary exercise testing with right heart catheterization in patients with systemic sclerosis. J Rheumatol 2010; 37:1871-1877.
10. Farber HW, Walkey AJ, O’Donnell MR. Ethical issues associated with the globalization of placebo-controlled trials in pulmonary arterial hypertension (letter). J Heart Lung Transplant 2010; 29:825-826.
11. Pendergrass SA, Hayes E, Farina G, Lemaire R, Farber HW, Whitfield ML, Lafyatis R. Limited systemic sclerosis patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension show biomarkers of inflammation and vascular injury. PLoS One. 2010; 17;5:e12106.
12. Frost AE, Badesch DB, Barst RJ, Benza RL, Elliott, CG, Farber HW Krichman AM, Liou TG, Raskob GE, Wason P, Feldkircher K, Turner M, McGoon MD. The changing picture of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) patients in the United States: How the REVEAL registry differs from historic and non-US contemporary registries. Chest 2011; 139:128-137.
13. Brown LM, Chen H, Halpern S, Taichman D, McGoon MD, Farber HW, Frost AE, Liou TG, Turner M, Feldkircher K, Miller DP, Elliott CG. Delay in Recognition of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension: Factors Identified From the REVEAL Registry. Chest 2011; 140:19-26.
14. Walkey AJ, Fein D, Farber HW. Differential response to intravenous prostacyclin analog therapy in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Pulm Pharm Therapuetics. 2011; 24:421-425.
15. Badesch DB, Feldman J, Keogh A, Mathier MA, Oudiz RJ, Shapiro S, Farber HW, McGoon M, Frost A, Rubin LJ, Allard M, Despain D, Dufton C, for the Aries-3 Study Group. ARIES-3: Ambrisentan therapy in a diverse population of patients with pulmonary hypertension. Cardiovasc Therap (in press).
16. Farber HW, Foreman AJ, Miller DP, McGoon MD. REVEAL Registry: Correlation of right heart catheterization and echocardiogram in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Congest Heart Fail 2011; 17:56-63.
17. Christmann RB, Hayes E, Pendergrass S, Padilla C, Farina G, Whitfield M, Farber HW, Lafyatis R. Interferon and alternative activation of macrophage/monocytes in systemic sclerosis-associated pulmonary arterial hypertension. Arthritis Rheum 2011; 63:1718-1728.
18. York M, Farber HW. Pulmonary hypertension: Screening and evaluation in scleroderma, Curr Opin Rheumatol (in press).
19. Pendergrass SA, Hayes E, Farina G, Lemaire R, Farber HW, Whitfield ML, Lafyatis R. Limited systemic sclerosis patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension show biomarkers of inflammation and vascular injury. PLoS One. 2010; 17;5:e12106.