Boston University has three graduation dates per academic year. The dates for the 2017-2018 school year are as follows: September 25, 2017, January 25, 2018 and May 20, 2018. These are also the dates graduates can receive their diplomas. Please see the schedule for mailing diplomas. There is one COM Graduate Hooding Ceremony and one All-University Commencement Ceremony held each year in May. Please see the graduation ceremonies page for additional information.
CHECKLIST FOR GRADUATION:
Click here to see the steps that must be completed in order to receive your degree.
- Review the courses, credits, academic, and completion projects required to complete your degree.
- Complete an application for graduation. Submit the form to Graduate Affairs via email or to Kayla Ring in Room 130A.
- Receive an email certifying your graduation from firstname.lastname@example.org. (This cannot be completed until final semester grades are submitted.)
- Complete an Exit Survey and submit proof of completion to email@example.com.
- Please update your Diploma and Graduation Information in the Student Link listed under the academics tab (bu.edu/studentlink).
- Review alumni services available to you. Please fill out this form if you’d like to stay connected with COM graduate affairs.
- Register for the Graduate Hooding Ceremony if you would like to attend. Registration will begin in January 2018.
- Invite your family and friends to attend both ceremonies. There is no required registration for guests and no limit on the number of guests.
DEGREE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduate students are responsible for completing their graduation requirements listed on the bulletin. Please check with your department for other specific requirements.
- Graduate students are also responsible for notifying Kayla Ring (firstname.lastname@example.org) when they successfully complete their comprehensive exam, professional project, thesis, or capstone project.
- Mass Communication with a concentration in Marketing Communication Research: 48 credits
- Mass Communication with a concentration in Communication Studies: 48 credits
- Advertising: 52 credits
- Public Relations: 48 credits
- Mass Communication, Dual degree with Law: 32 COM credits
- Journalism: 48 credits
- Broadcast Journalism: 48 credits
- Business & Economics Journalism: 48 credits
- Science Journalism: 48 credits
- Cinema and Media Production: 48 credits
- Television: 48 credits
- Media Ventures: 48 credits
- Media Ventures, Dual degree with Questrom: 48 COM credits
- Screenwriting: 56 credits
- Film (including Film Production, Film and TV Studies and Screenwriting): 64 credits
- M.S. Film Production: 48 credits
- Emerging Media Studies (MA): 40 credits
- Emerging Media Studies (PhD): 68 credits
Additional Academic Requirements
- A 3.0 (B) grade point average is required to qualify for a BU COM graduate degree. If a student’s grade point index is less than 3.0 in ANY semester, or if more than 8 credits for grades below B- are received during the length of the program, the student’s record is reviewed by the department of enrollment to determine whether the student should be permitted to continue as a candidate for the degree or should be placed on academic probation.
- A grade of D will not receive graduate credit (information taken from the COM bulletin).
- M.A. in Emerging Media Studies students cannot receive a grade below a B-. C range grades will not be counted toward their degree.
COM Graduate Hooding Ceremony
The COM Graduate Hooding Ceremony will take place on Friday, May 18, 2018. It is exclusive to COM graduate students. Students must register to attend. Registration will begin in January 2018. Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
- Graduate students are responsible for the courses, credits, and academic requirements for their degree. Students who fail to meet the graduation requirements will not receive their degree/diploma at the graduation ceremony.
- Students must complete an application for graduation one semester before graduation.
- Please select a full time faculty member from your academic department (Mass Communication, Public Relations, Advertising, EMS, Journalism, Film and Television) to hood you during the ceremony. You are required to ask the professor if they would be willing to hood you before you write their name below. Please see this list of faculty. Link: http://www.bu.edu/com/about-com/faculty/
- All students must register to attend the COM graduate hooding ceremony.
- Purchase your cap, gown, and hood through the BU Bookstore. January 1 through March 16, online ordering is available through Herff Jones and includes a $10 discount on all regalia packages. Regalia can be purchased/rented in-store at the Barnes & Noble at Boston University beginning April 25, 2018.
- Email Kayla Ring (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you or a family member will need specific disability accommodations including, parking.
- Hotels and Restaurants: Please make arrangements and reservations as soon as possible. Hotels and restaurants in the Boston area are incredibly busy during this weekend.
- Emerging Media Studies
- Cinema and Media Production
- Science Journalism
- Media Ventures
- Graduate Mass Communication in London
How to apply for COM Graduate Hooding Ceremony
Who is eligible to attend the May 2018 Hooding Ceremony?
|Students who will officially graduate on September 25, 2017||Students who will officially graduate on January 25, 2018||Students who will officially graduate on May 20, 2018||Students who will complete their degree by September 25, 2018. These programs include:
Boston University Commencement Ceremony
The University Commencement Ceremony will be on Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 1 p.m. at Nickerson Field. This is a ceremony available to all graduating students at Boston University. Undergraduate and graduate students will attend. Please also visit the Commencement website for information. You do not need to register for this event.