May Commencement Information
The COM Graduate Master’s Hooding Ceremony will be on Friday, May 13, 2016 at 3pm at the Case Center Gymnasium (285 Babcock St.). More information will be emailed to you.
Please also go to the Commencement website for information about getting your gown and hood for the ceremony and the University-wide ceremony.
It is your responsibility to select and ask a professor to hood you at the ceremony.
Please arrive by 2 pm for line up purposes.
How to Apply
All students must apply for graduation one year in advance. Forms are available at Graduate Affairs, room 130A.
Boston University has three graduation dates: September, January and May. There is only one Commencement ceremony held each year in May. Graduates are invited to participate in the ceremony held during the calendar year in which they graduate. For example, if you graduate in September 2015, January 2016 or September 2016 you can walk in the May 2016 ceremony.
If you are aware that you will be unable to complete your requirements by your anticipated graduation date, please contact Graduate Affairs as soon as possible.
It’s important to double check your courses against your graduation application to ensure that you will graduate on time.
Master’s and Doctorate degree candidates:
- Mass Communication with a concentration in Applied Communication Research: 48 credits
- Mass Communication with a concentration in Communication Studies: 48 credits
- Advertising: 52 credits
- Public Relations: 48 credits
- Mass Communication, Dual degree with Law: 32 COM credits
- Journalism: 48 credits
- Broadcast Journalism: 48 credits
- Business & Economics Journalism: 48 credits
- Science Journalism: 48 credits
- Cinema and Media Production: 48 credits
- Television: 48 credits
- Media Ventures: 48 credits
- Media Ventures, Dual degree with Questrom: 48 COM credits
- Screenwriting: 56 credits
- Film (including Film Production, Film and TV Studies and Screenwriting): 64 credits
- M.S. Film Production: 48 credits
- Emerging Media Studies (MA): 40 credits
- Emerging Media Studies (PhD): 68 credits
A 3.0 (B) grade point average is required to qualify for a BU COM graduate degree. If a student’s grade point index is less than 3.0 in ANY semester, or if more than 8 credits for grades below B- are received during the length of the program, the student’s record is reviewed by the department of enrollment to determine whether the student should be permitted to continue as a candidate for the degree or should be placed on academic probation.
A grade of D will not receive graduate credit (information taken from the COM bulletin).
Graduate students are responsible for their graduation requirements. Please check with your department for other specific requirements.