Current Students


What is the difference between an academic advisor and a faculty member?

The Student Services office has academic advisors who meet daily with students to discuss both academic and personal concerns, including (but not limited to) dual-degree concerns, graduation requirements, study abroad and class scheduling. Students can schedule an appointment to meet with an academic counselor by stopping by Student Services, room 123 or calling 617-353-3471.

Full-time faculty members are available to meet with students for career advice, course advice and mentoring.

How do I find out who my advisor is?

Students may meet with any COM academic advisor that has appointment availability. Students who have questions about requirements should be in touch directly with COM Student Services, room 123. Faculty mentors are no longer assigned. Students may meet with any full-time faculty member during their posted office hours.

How do I find out more about BU’s dual-degree program (DDP)?

The Boston University Dual Degree Program (DDP) is a double-degree program that differs from a double major. It is a more involved program, requiring students to complete all major department and all college requirements for both schools of enrollments.

COM students are allowed to participate in the DDP pending approval from an academic counselor. To schedule an appointment with and advisor, please contact Student Services. DDP applications for COM students are initiated by Student Services.

Students should be aware that this program might require summer coursework and/or additional semesters of classes.

Please review the Dual Degree Program Information Sheet on the Forms page.

When do I declare my major?

Students should declare their majors the second semester of their sophomore year. Student Services advisors will meet with each sophomore to discuss the major requirements and review necessary coursework.

How do I find out about internships and jobs in the communications field?

The COM Career Services Office offers a wide array of services designed to help COM students take advantage of the resources BU has to offer, including the BU Career Link. The Career Services Office offers internship and job information, electronic job searches, resume critiquing and several other services. Career Services is located in Room 112 in the COM building and can be reached at 617-353-3490. You may also follow them on twitter @COM_Careers.

When can I receive credit for an internship?

All students with rising junior status and a 3.0 or higher in COM are eligible to receive academic internship credit. If you have questions regarding internship credit, please contact your department. Students who do not qualify for an academic internship, may register for the one-credit internship program. Please see Student Services for more details, or locate the application on our forms page.

How do I find out about studying abroad?

The International Programs office organizes study abroad programs at Boston University. For more information or to receive an application, please call International Programs at 617-353-9888.

In order to study abroad, students must have a 3.0 COM GPA (internship programs) and have been enrolled in COM for at least one full semester. Internship programs require rising junior status in order to be eligible for the program. Specific courses are required as well. Please be sure to review the Study Abroad Fact Sheet on the Forms page before making an appointment.

How do I apply for an Intra-University Transfer (IUT)?

An Intra-University Transfer involves the transfer from one college at Boston University into another college.

Beginning with the Fall 2011 entering class, students must take COM CO 101 and receive a C or higher and have a 2.0 or higher GPA in order to IUT. Please review the IUT Fact Sheet on the Forms page for more detailed information.

We have created this video to help explain the IUT process.

How do I apply for a minor?

COM students must obtain a minor declaration form from the Student Services office and have it approved by the department they wish to minor in.  The completed form must be turned into Student Services in COM for advisor approval. Non-COM students must have the minor approved by the COM department they wish to minor in and then turn it in to their home school.

There are varying requirements for each area in which a student can major. Students are advised to carefully review the minor requirements for the area in which they are interested.

Please review the Declaration of Minor Fact Sheet and Application on the Forms page.

How do I know what’s going on in COM?

There are several ways to know what’s going on:

  1. Follow @comugrad on twitter and like COM Student Services on Facebook.
  2. Check the Student Services website regularly for updated information.
  3. Come to the Student Services window (Room 123).
  4. Read the COM Newsletter. To subscribe, e-mail us at

What are the requirements needed to make the Dean’s List?

Students must achieve a 3.5 or higher for two consecutive semesters of an academic year. Dean’s List is only awarded in the spring for an academic year, not on a semester by semester basis.

  • Students must have four, four credit, graded courses and no incompletes or missing grades for each semester.
  • Grade changes do not apply toward Dean’s List.
  • The Dean’s List is for undergraduate students only.

I have transfer credits from another university as well as AP credits. How do I know if they got transferred here?

Students interested in AP or transcripts from other universities should stop by Student Services, room 123 in COM, to review their transcripts and check on AP approval.

For students with several AP scores or additional college credit, they may schedule an appointment to meet with an academic advisor. The advisor will review the credits, discuss how they were counted and outline future necessary coursework.

Where is the COM Writing Center?

The COM Writing Center is located in Room B27A in the College of Communication. The staff of writing fellows is available for appointments to proofread student work and provide guidance. The COM Writing Center is open 9–5 Monday, Thursday and Friday, and 9–8 Tuesday and Wednesday. To schedule an appointment please stop by the Writing Center or call 617-353-6632.

Are there services available to students with learning or physical disabilities?

For those students with learning or physical disabilities, the Disability Services office provides a wide range of services to students and their families. Disability Services, located at 19 Deerfield Street, can be reached at 617-353-3658.

What is Academic Probation?

College of Communication Probation status (Undergraduate):
Below 2.0 grade point index (GPI) OR below 2.0 grade point average (GPA) for any given semester. If a student falls below a 2.0 for more than one semester the student may be asked to leave the College of Communication. To be removed from probation, the student must raise their GPI and GPA to a 2.0 or above, while carrying a full-time course load. See the probation contract on the FORMS page for more specific details.

What is Academic Suspension?

An undergraduate who has consecutive semesters of below a 2.0 GPI and/or GPA may be suspended, dismissed or continued on probation depending on the student’s previous academic performance. Students may not be on probation for more than two consecutive semesters.

How do I overload (take more than 18 credits)?

A 3.0 cumulative GPA is required for sophomores and juniors to register for more than 18 credits. The student is responsible for all extra charges.

  • A 3.3 cumulative GPA is required to overload without extra charge. An overload form must be filled out and approved in order to avoid extra charges (up to 20 credits). This form can be obtained from Room 123.
  • Seniors do not have to fill out overload forms, charges are waived automatically—up to 20 credits. There is no minimum GPA requirement.
  • Freshmen may not overload.

Where can I get a copy of my transcript?

Unofficial transcripts may be obtained from the University Registrar’s Office, 881 Commonwealth Avenue, Second Floor, Boston, MA 02215. Official transcripts may be obtained for a small fee.

Or, if you just want to view your transcript, use the Student Link.

If you have any questions please call the Transcript Office, 617-353-3616.

Can I transfer credits from other colleges and universities?

Student must have all outside university transcripts sent to Student Services, 640 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 123, Boston, MA 02215.

Or, if the transfer credits have already been sent, check to see if your transfer credits have been received by using the Student Link.

Undergraduates: In order to receive transfer credit, you must receive a ‘C’ or higher from an accredited college or university.

How do I obtain my diploma?

Graduating students will receive information from Student Services regarding how to obtain the diploma. All students must file a graduation application (available at room 123) one year prior to graduation.

How do I take a leave of absence or withdraw?

Undergraduate students: Undergraduate Students must see the University Service Center, 881 Commonwealth Avenue, Lower Level or call 617-358-1818.

What can I do about my incomplete grade?

Students must speak to their professors regarding incomplete grades. If a professor agrees to give an incomplete grades the student and the professor must fill out an incomplete contract, which may be obtained from Room 123.

The professor has complete discretion of the grade. Incomplete grades may be changed to an ‘F’ grade if the student does not fulfill their end of the contract.

What is the Academic Conduct Code?

The purpose of enforcing academic rules is to create the kind of environment in which learning can best take place. This environment can only be maintained if students believe that their academic competence is being judged fairly and that they will not be put at a disadvantage by the dishonesty of others.

We deplore academic misconduct of any kind and we believe it is the responsibility of each member of our community to maintain its integrity. In defining rules of academic conduct our intent is to protect the integrity of the educational process. It is also our responsibility to see that appropriate punishment is issued when violations of this code occur.

Boston University has a Universal Academic Conduct Code. All students should familiarize themselves with this code.