Squeaky Clean

With the mid-morning glare of the sunrise brightening the windows of the Prudential Center, a nameless WINDOW WASHER, age 25 and well-built, sloshes a cleaning implement into a bucket of blue fluid. He is harnessed atop a wooden platform, hanging outside of the office of VIVIAN.

memoir

EXT. 42ND FLOOR, PRUDENTIAL CENTER - BOSTON, MA - DAY

With the mid-morning glare of the sunrise brightening the windows of the Prudential Center, a nameless WINDOW WASHER, age 25 and well-built, sloshes a cleaning implement into a bucket of blue fluid.

He is harnessed atop a wooden platform, hanging outside of the office of VIVIAN.

INT. VIVIAN’S OFFICE - DAY

VIVIAN, a 38 year old marketing executive with a ferocious never-take-no-for-an-answer attitude, sips red wine from a long-stemmed glass as her painted nails tap her desk. She glares at her computer screen with an intensity that would evoke fear in any child. She clears her throat and punches a button on her desk phone.

VIVIAN Karen, confirm that my 12:00 meeting is still on.

KAREN Your noon appointment is set.

VIVIAN Has James called?

KAREN (pauses) No, he hasn’t called.

VIVIAN (pauses) Be sure to have those memos sent out by 11:30.

KAREN Right away.

VIVIAN punches the button on her phone, and stares at her computer screen. The newfound silence is broken by the cascading tap of her fingernails on her desk.

A piercing squeak emanates from the window, several feet to the right of her desk. VIVIAN turns her head to see the WINDOW WASHER meticulously pulling the squeegee down the glass.

Intrigued by the distraction, VIVIAN shoots him a half smile; he reciprocates.

VIVIAN (to herself, musing) Hard worker.

VIVIAN raises an eyebrow suggestively. The WINDOW WASHER raises both, furrowing his brow, and gives her a wink.

WINDOW WASHER (mouthes through window) Hello.

VIVIAN pulls a red tube of lipstick from her purse, and writes a phone number on the mirror facing the window. The WINDOW WASHER pauses to watch, and pulls out his cell to dial.

WINDOW WASHER Mornin’ miss.

VIVIAN I see you’re working hard out there.

WINDOW WASHER Yes’m. Been out here since 6:30, scrubbin’. Seems you’re workin’ hard in there, just the same.

VIVIAN You flatter me. I haven’t done anything this morning but douse myself in wine and give orders to my secretary.

WINDOW WASHER Seems a break’d do you some good.

VIVIAN I like the way you think.

VIVIAN puts her finger up to her lips in a shush-ing motion and punches a button on her phone.

KAREN Yes?

VIVIAN Postpone my 12:00, Karen.

KAREN Yes, Ms.--

VIVIAN hangs up, lightly pressing the button to switch phone lines.

VIVIAN It seems I’ve come into some free time. You could use a break, now, couldn’t you?

WINDOW WASHER I s’pose. Course, I couldn’t deny a woman like you a few minutes of my day.

VIVIAN locks the door to her office, turns to the window, and unbuttons her collar. The WINDOW WASHER looks on with longing.

WINDOW WASHER (grinning) I could get fired for this, miss.

VIVIAN My name is Rachel Weissman. If anyone gives you trouble, just give them my name. I’ve got more than enough power in this company.

WINDOW WASHER Aw, I don’t think anybody’d see me up this high anyhow.

VIVIAN Good, now let’s see something better than that awful blue uniform they’ve got you in.

WINDOW WASHER (his grin widens) Whatever you say, miss.

He loosens his harness, stepping out of the leg straps, and begins to unzip his uniform.

VIVIAN Just like that.

WINDOW WASHER I’m gettin’ married in a month, miss. Better not tell my girlfriend about this.

VIVIAN Marriage is a foolish commitment. Do what brings you pleasure. Keep going.

He continues to undress, as VIVIAN approaches the window.

WINDOW WASHER I can’t imagine a gorgeous woman like yourself is anything but off and hitched to a rich man.

VIVIAN (pauses) I don’t have a husband.

WINDOW WASHER Shame.

VIVIAN Blessing. Keep going. Faster, I haven’t got all day.

The WINDOW WASHER moves to pull off his cover-alls. VIVIAN closes in on the glass when the WINDOW WASHER hops, off-balance, and makes a flailing motion. He grasps for the cable suspension, but misses by an inch, and he tumbles off of his platform to the street below.

VIVIAN muffles a gasp, eyes wide, dropping her phone receiver as she steps back from the window.

She hurriedly wipes the phone number from her mirror with the cuff of her jacket. She picks up the receiver from the floor, and hearing no dial tone, frustratedly slams it down on the desk. She checks herself in the mirror, gathers her belongings, and steps out of her office, locking the door behind herself.

VIVIAN Karen, call maintenance. Put in a work order for that damn phone.

KAREN Yes, Ms. Walters.

VIVIAN Call James. I’d like to have dinner with my husband tonight at the Oyster House. Make the reservation.

KAREN Right away, Vivian.

VIVIAN Reschedule that 12:00 I had with the divorce lawyer to next week.

KAREN Yes, Ms. Walters.

VIVIAN And see that my windows are cleaned by the time I’m in tomorrow. They’re filthy.